The Christie in Manchester has moved a step closer to becoming the first place in the country where proton beam therapy for cancer will be offered to patients.
Public Health Minister Anna Soubry said £250 million of government funding will be used to build two new facilities in Manchester and London.
It will allow the Christie to tender for the necessary building work and equipment needed to offer the treatment.
Currently doctors can choose to send patients to America for the treatment, the new facilities should allow 1,500 patients-a-year to be treated in the UK by 2018.
National Clinical Lead for Proton Beam Therapy Adrian Crellin said: "Whilst we will continue to offer this treatment overseas until the new facilities are built in Manchester and London, I am delighted that we are now a step closer to providing Proton Beam Therapy in the UK.
"Compared to standard radiotherapy options, Proton Beam Therapy offers the opportunity to reduce the risks of potential side effects such as growth deformity, loss of hearing and lowered IQ, which is a particular consideration when treating children and young people."
More top news
At around 9.30pm police were called to reports that a 14-year-old boy had been assaulted at a take-away on Ashton Road in Denton.
Storm Ali is due to arrive on Wednesday. A very windy day for Cumbria and the Isle of Man
The head teacher of the school which featured in the TV series "Educating Greater Manchester" has resigned after being suspended in July.