Advertisement

Lucky wellies save schoolboy from electrocution

Layton's kite stuck in high voltage power cables Credit: Manchester Evening News Syndication

A schoolboy escaped electrocution after his kite got stuck in a power line - thanks to his pair of rubber wellies.

Layton Smith, 10, from Stockport, was playing on farmland when he flew his kite into a 33,000 volt power line.

Not knowing the danger , Layton, and his mum Stacy, then tried to get the kite down before giving up.

But it was only later that they discovered their actions could have had deadly consequences if it hadn't been for their rubber wellies.

Fortunately, Layton sustained no injuries, but did attend hospital as a precaution.

Layton and his mum Stacey Credit: Manchester Evening News Syndication

We had no idea of the danger.

"When I heard Layton screaming because his kite was stuck, it didn’t cross my mind that the line might be live.

"I even tried to shake the kite down myself. I tried to find the farmer to let him know but couldn’t get hold of him.

"Upon coming back to the scene later in the day, we learned that the farmer had spotted it and called SP Energy Networks to come and take a look.

"They were the ones who told us that we should take Layton to hospital to check him over. We really were lucky – we now know it could have been a lot worse."

– Layton’s mother Stacy O’Connor

Layton and his mum got the kite stuck on the power line near Bangor in North Wales where they had been on holiday.

Young Layton is incredibly lucky not to have suffered any harm.

"People can receive a life-threatening shock at home with as little as 230 volts, so to have been caught up by a 33,000 volt power line could have proven to be fatal.

"It’s incredibly important that families are aware of the dangers surrounding electricity.”

– Andy Churchman, SP Energy Networks

They said it may have been their rubber welly boots that saved them from being electrocuted but added that this was potentially fatal in any circumstances.