Live updates

Family's anger after late mum fined over TV Licence

Yvonne Daly Credit: MEN

The family of a mother-of-five who died from a sudden heart attack have spoken of their anger after discovering she has been prosecuted for not paying her TV licence, three months after she passed away.

Yvonne Daly, of Dunnyshop Avenue in Ferngore, collapsed and died in April leaving behind five children.

But despite this she was later ‘convicted in her absence’ of using a television without a licence at Blackburn Magistrates Court last month. She was fined £220 and ordered to pay £120 in costs on July 11.

Blackburn magistrates court said the fine has been suspended with a view to being written off.

We’re all trying to cope with her death and then to see that was absolutely heartbreaking.

We were more angry than anything else.

We had heard nothing from TV Licensing, no letters or phone calls, I thought when somebody died everybody was informed.

I want an apology for what they have put us through, we didn’t know anything about the court case, one of my friends told me and I thought it was absolutely disgusting.

– Jolene, Yvonne's daughter

I knew nothing about it until my grandson rang me and told me about it, we never knew anything about this TV licence offence. We had no letters, somebody else lives in her old house now and her daughter Jolene had stopped the post from going to that address.

It’s been very upsetting for all of us, especially her children, her youngest son Bailey lives with me now but he’s too young to understand.

– Eileen Cash, Yvonne's mother
The Daly Family Credit: MEN

When prosecution was initiated prior to Miss Daly’s unforeseen and tragic death, the matter passed into the hands of the court. The court would have withdrawn the case had it been aware of Miss Daly’s death, as would TV Licensing had we been notified.

TV Licensing make every effort to ensure accurate details are provided. We have requested for the case and fine to be withdrawn.

– Spokesperson for TV Licensing

Family barricaded into home

The barriers around the Henshall home Credit: MEN

A family from Bolton have been marooned in their house after contractors dug a trench and put barriers around it.

The workers contracted to Virgin Media have left the family unable to use their drive or leave their home without scaling the fence.

Virgin Media have yet to comment despite being contacted.

I’m absolutely furious. I came home from work tonight (Wednesday) and found they had barricaded my wife and daughter inside. I was astonished. I had to fight my way into my own house. It’s extremely dangerous. There’s rubble everywhere. I couldn’t park on my own drive. They left it like this and just b***ered off. I couldn’t believe my eyes. They’ve been here the last couple of days. Apparently they left at 2pm. I’ve tried to complain to Virgin but of course I can’t get through to an actual human. I’m a Sky customer and I can tell you I wont be going with these jokers.

– Dave Henshall, householder
The drive is blocked..... Credit: MEN

Dave even emailed Virgin Media chief executive Tom Mockridge pictures of the barricade,

I appreciate that workmen have to dig up roads to get your product under ground, but when I came home from work today to find my whole house barricaded off from rest of street, I was disgusted. My wife informs me the last workmen left at 2pm with no thought to the fact she could not move her car from our drive, and it is stuck now till at least 8am tomorrow. I have taken some pictures so you can see what a disgrace they have left my house in and hope that you can pass this down the chain, so somebody is held to account. I trust that this will be don expeditiously and look forward to hearing from someone within your company.

– Dave Henshall's email to Tom Mockridge
... leaving them to climb the barriers to get out Credit: MEN

Advertisement

Bramhall Hall to reopen after £1.6million revamp

Bramhall Hall Credit: Stockport MBC

Bramhall Hall is re-opening after a huge restoration project, thanks to a £1.6m grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The historic grade I listed building closed at the end of September 2014 to undergo major transformation.

The restored drawing room at Bramhall Hall Credit: Stockport MBC

New visitors will see changes to the historic rooms and the Hall’s features and architecture.

Two additional rooms have been opened up to the public. These are a Victorian butler’s pantry and a dining room that's been furnished with period pieces.

Man charged with manslaughter of St Annes man

Jonathon Plum Credit: Lancashire Police

A man will appear in court later following the death a man in Lancashire.

Jonathon Plum died from head injuries after an incident in St Annes at the weekend. 20-year-old Peter Honeyman of Heyhouses Lane, St. Annes has been charged with manslaughter.

Lytham RNLI launches £275,000 appeal for new lifeboat

RNLI Shannon class lifeboat in action Credit: RNLI

The RNLI is launching an appeal to raise £275,000 towards the cost of Lytham’s new RNLI Shannon class lifeboat.

In 2018, the crew's current all-weather Mersey class lifeboat Her Majesty The Queen, will be nearing the end of her operational life and is set to be replaced by the newest member of the RNLI fleet, a Shannon class lifeboat.

The first modern RNLI all-weather lifeboat to be powered by water jets instead of propellers, the Shannon has a top speed of 25 knots, is highly manoeuvrable and well-suited to the shallow conditions of the Fylde coast.

Watch the video to see an RNLI Shannon class lifeboat in action:

Lytham RNLI Coxswain Gary Bird said: ‘We are very attached to our Mersey and she’s served us well for many years, but everyone at the station is very excited at the prospect of receiving a Shannon. It’s an incredible lifeboat and the advanced technology means we’ll be able to reach people in trouble at sea a lot more quickly than we can at the moment.

‘We know £275,000 is a lot of money to raise but people in Lancashire and across the north west have always been very supportive of the RNLI. I’m confident they will get behind the appeal and help us fund our new lifeboat, which will be saving lives off the Lancashire coast for many years to come.’

The Shannon will cost around 2 million pounds in total.

Investigation after death of man in Wigan

Police are investigating after the unexplained death of a man from Wigan.

At around 9:30pm on Sunday 17 June, police were called after a 46-year-old man died at Royal Bolton Hospital.

The man had injuries which were reported to have been sustained during an altercation on Leigh Road, Leigh earlier that day.

Post mortem results were inconclusive and further tests are currently on-going to determine whether or not the injuries are linked to his death, which is currently being treated as unexplained.

A 38-year-old woman and a 24-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

They remain in custody for questioning.

Detective Inspector Paul Rollinson of GMP’s Wigan borough said: “The investigation is at a very early stage and our enquiries are on-going.

“If anybody has any information that they think may assist us, particularly about an altercation on Leigh Road earlier that day, then I would urge them to please come forward.”

Advertisement

MPs approve plans for four new Trident nuclear submarines

HMS Vanguard Credit: PA

MPs have voted to approve a motion to renew Trident, the UK's nuclear deterrent.

472 MPs voted in favour of the plans while 117 voted against the motion to replace the four Vanguard class submarines with four new submarines which have been codenamed 'Successor'.

Production of the £40 billion fleet of submarines will take place in Cumbria at the BAE Systems plant in Barrow where 8,000 people are employed.

  1. Amy Welch, ITV News

MPs vote on the future of Trident - 8,000 Barrow jobs depend on it

The previous generation of Trident, HMS Vengeance, being rolled out at Barrow Shipyard in 1998. Credit: Press Association.

Barrow is waiting for a vote in Parliament to decide its future as part of the UK's nuclear defence programme.

Almost 8,000 people work at the BAe plant in Cumbria - most of them on the Vanguard-class submarines which carry Trident nuclear missiles.

MPs will vote on whether the UK Government goes ahead with spending up to £50bn on a fleet of new subs codenamed Successor.

  • Granada Reports correspondent Amy Welch looks at what the industry means to the region:
  1. National

May: Some MPs 'the first to defend our enemies'

Theresa May accused Green MP Caroline Lucas and some Labour MPs of defending the country's enemies, as MPs prepare to vote on renewing Trident.

The MP for Brighton Pavilion had said the UK's nuclear weapons are "driving proliferation - not the opposite", before the prime minister rejected the suggestion, saying: "I have to say to you that sadly you and some members of the Labour Party seem to be the first to defend the country's enemies and the last to actually accept the capabilities that we need."

Mrs May said it is "a great pity" that members of the Labour front bench "fail to see the necessity" of Britain's nuclear deterrent "given that the Labour party in the past has put the British national interest first in looking at this issue."

Speaking in the Commons, the prime minister added that we "cannot afford to relax our guard" and "need to be prepared to deter threats to our lives and our livelihoods."

  1. National

Corbyn questions the effectiveness of nuclear deterrent

Jeremy Corbyn

The Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has questioned the effectiveness of Trident, as MPs prepare to vote on renewal of Britain's nuclear deterrent.

Speaking in the Commons, he said: "What is the threat that we are facing that over a million people's deaths actually deters?

"It's not from the so-called Islamic State - their poisonous death cult glories in killing as many people as possible, as we've seen brutally in Syria, to east Africa, from France to Turkey.

"It hasn't deterred our ally, Saudi Arabia, from committing dreadful acts in the Yemen. It didn't stop Saddam Hussein's atrocities in the 1980s or the invasion of Kuwait in 1990. It didn't deter the war crimes in the Balkans in the 1990s, nor the genocide in Rwanda.

"I do not believe the threat of mass murder is a legitimate to go about dealing with international relations."

Load more updates