Live updates

Families march over police custody deaths

Families march from Trafalgar Square Credit: Press Association

Relatives and friends of people who have died in police custody have marched to Downing Street to demand justice for their loved ones.

Organisers said about 300 protesters took part in the annual procession, which started in Trafalgar Square and marched down Whitehall.

"It is important that the Government realises that this is an ongoing and serious human rights issue. Many families feel betrayed by a system that has let them down.

This is the last demonstration before the general election and the issue of deaths in custody must be on the political agenda in the run-up to that election."

– Deborah Coles, director for Inquest
The March included the family of Sean Rigg, who died after being restrained in 2008 Credit: Press Association

Man fails to return home after four day trip

David Hopkins has been missing for more than a month Credit: Metropolitan Police

Police are concerned for the welfare of a 30-year-old man missing from the Bromley area.

David Hopkins was last seen leaving his home on Kimberley Road, Beckenham, on 23 September, to go on a four day trip with a friend but failed to return home.

David is 6ft tall, of slim build, with short dyed black hair and hazel coloured eyes. He's also known to his friends as Jamie Hooper.

Anyone with information should contact the Missing Person Unit at Bromley on 020 8284 8766 or via 101.

Advertisement

Teenager arrested after stabbing on bus

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder Credit: Reuters

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a boy of the same age was stabbed on a bus.

Detectives are appealing for information following the incident in Sutton, south-west London.

Police were called to St Helier Avenue yesterday afternoon, after the stabbing on a Route 151 vehicle.

Officers, London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance were at the scene.

The victim was taken to hospital where his condition is serious but stable.

A 15-year-old remains in custody at a south London police station.

Warning over Diwali candles

The London Fire Brigade is urging people to be careful with candles during Diwali Credit: ITV News

London Fire Brigade is reminding the public to take care if using candles to celebrate Diwali, after a fire at a flat on Carlton Road in Newham, on Thursday night.

The fire is thought to have been caused by a candle which had been left to burn on the edge of the bath, as part of celebrations for Diwali. An elderly woman was treated for smoke inhalation.

“Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.”

– London Fire Brigade spokesman

Tips for candle safety:

  • Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire.
  • Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
  • Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder
  • Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.

For more fire safety information: http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/UsingCandles.asp

  1. National

Queen gets trolled on Twitter after sending debut tweet

The Queen has been targeted by Twitter trolls after sending her first royal tweet.

The Queen has been targeted by Twitter trolls after sending her first royal tweet. Credit: @BritishMonarchy

The official @BritishMonarchy account she used saw its followers grow by tens of thousands, but was immediately attacked by trolls sending abusive messages.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "We were fully cognisant of the nature of Twitter, where anyone anywhere can express their opinion, but we were delighted that so many people - in their tens of thousands - responded positively.

"We saw some tweets with profanity but that is just the nature of the format."

Scotland Yard said it had not received any complaints and was not investigating the matter.

Advertisement

Spurs support Paul Gascoigne

Spurs say they are supporting Paul Gascoigne Credit: Press Association

Tottenham Hotspur say they are supporting troubled former star Paul Gascoigne after it was reported he had been placed on an emergency three-day detox.

Medics sectioned the 47-year-old former England footballer under the Mental Health Act at 3am yesterday after a drinking binge, according to today's Sun.

A spokesman for Spurs said: "We are aware of the situation with Paul and continue to offer our support."

Police had no comment about the incident.

X Factor winner speaks out about internet troll

Sam Bailey has spoken out about a social media troll. Credit: Press Association

X Factor winner Sam Bailey has revealed how a run-in with a web troll on social media led to her being contacted by social services.

The former prison officer from Bexley, who was crowned winner of the ITV talent show last year, said a woman reported her to the local authorities after seeing a picture posted on Facebook of the star.

She told the Daily Mirror: "I posted a photo of me in a nightclub when I was pregnant with Miley, pulling a silly face with mates. She took that as I was absolutely steaming drunk.

"Next thing I know, she had reported me to social services...The school had to get involved. It was awful.

"I had to take a photo of the woman into the school because I was concerned she would go there and pick my kids up. I was petrified."

Police contacted the troll and the situation was resolved but Bailey is backing last week's announcement of tougher sentencing for online abusers.

Internet trolls are to face up to two years in jail under tough new laws proposed by Justice Secretary Chris Grayling.

Man injured in north west London

Police are investigating after a suspected assault in north west London last night.

Officers were called to an incident outside a block of flats on the Graham Park Estate in Colindale, where they found an injured man, who was then taken to hospital.

Police in Barnet would like to hear from any witnesses. No arrests have been made and enquiries continue.

Competition to create gadgets to help disabled people in London

A Dragons' Den style competition is being launched to encourage entrepreneurs to create gadgets to help the disabled. The government hopes the £400,000 competition will entice inventors to create new apps and gadgets that will assist disabled people at work, at home and on public transport.

Dan Biddle, who was severely injured by the July 7 terror bombings, went on to create a smartphone app to help disabled people find accessible pubs, restaurants and hotels in London.

Load more updates Back to top