Construction has begun on the south-western expansion of the Barclays Cycle Hire scheme.
Docking stations are now being built in Wandsworth, Hammersmith & Fulham, Lambeth and Kensington & Chelsea - opening to the public in December 2013.
The new area will increase the number of cycles available by more than 2,000 bicycles.
Boris Bikes facts
- So far users of the scheme have undertaken more than 20 million hires
- Barclays Cycle Hire already covers over 40 square miles of the capital stretching from Shepherd's Bush in the west, through central London and east to the fringes of the Olympic Park.
- More than 100 potential locations have already been already approved for new Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations across London and around a further 150 are currently going through the planning process.
- Around 93 per cent of all journeys made by Barclays Cycle Hire members have been under 30 minutes.
- Recent customer research showed that 49 per cent of Barclays Cycle Hire members say that the scheme has prompted them to start cycling in London.