Following the revelation that London postcodes dominate the list of the UK's burglary hotspots, a reformed burglar has offered advice on how the public can best protect their homes.
Bob Turney offered these five tips to ensure your home is effectively protected from burglars:
- Alarms and strong gates deter burglars
- Work as community to protect homes by getting to know your neighbours
- Contact a crime prevention officer at a local police station who can check homes to assess the effectiveness of current security measures
- Avoid leaving the boxes of recently bought computers, televisions or games consoles by bins
- The last person out of the home should complete security checks
Most importantly, Mr Turney urged the public to "think like a burglar" and prevent the crime destroying even more lives.