Detectives have released dramatic CCTV footage which shows thieves smashing into railway ticket machines with angle grinders and pickaxes.
British Transport Police are hunting the gang behind six raids across London and Hertfordshire, in which ticket vending machines were smashed with pickaxes and angle grinders.
More than £3,000 was stolen and £100,000 of damage was caused at small stations in the early hours of the morning.
Police have released images of the suspects, believing the same gang is behind a string of incidents:
- 19 April: Brookmans Park. Stolen: £785 Damage: £23,500
- 21 April: Bayford. Stolen: £0 Damage: £23,500
- 18 May: Watton-at-Stone: Stolen: £156 Damage: £7,500
- 18 May: Oakleigh Park: Stolen: £775 Damage: £23,500
- 19 May: Hadley Wood: Stolen: £667 Damage: £23,500
- 23 May: Welham Green: Stolen: £855 Damage: £7,500
Detective Constable Nick Thompson, who is leading the investigation, has warned the public not to approach suspects, but rather to contact British Transport Police. He said it is likely they will be armed with heavy machinery. He added: