Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Yuck! Rotting rat carcass found on noodle restaurant floor

A rotting rat carcass was among the disgusting discoveries which shut down four London eateries.

Unannounced inspections were carried out at a sweet manufacturer, two restaurants and a butcher in Ealing by food safety officers - who were so horrified by what they found they closed them down immediately.

Officers said in each case they believed the establishments posed a serious risk to public health.

The rotting rat carcass found at Coco Noodle Bar Credit: Ealing Council

Coco Noodle Bar, a restaurant in Ealing Broadway, had to close for a week after a string of unpleasant finds, including the corpse of a dead rat as well as dirt and rat droppings.

It was closed for a week before officers were satisfied it had cleaned up its act enough to ensure customers were safe.

A fly was spotted on raw meat at Bilal Halal Meat Credit: Ealing Council

Meanwhile, Bilal Halal Meat, a halal butchers on Winford Parade in Southall, was temporarily shut down due to a mouse infestation, flies and contaminated food.

Afghan restaurant Kabul Restaurant & Banqueting, in The Broadway in Southall, was closed for two weeks when council officers discovered an infestation of mice, as well as dirt and grease throughout the entire business.

An infestation of mice was found at Kabul Restaurant & Banqueting Credit: Ealing Council

And Balaji Foods, a small sweet manufacturer based in Long Drive, Greenford, was temporarily closed due to a poor standard of cleaning and pest control.

All four businesses have now reopened, after what the council called "extensive cleaning" and new pest control measures were introduced.

Balaji Foods was temporarily closed due to a poor standard of cleaning and pest control Credit: Ealing Council

Ealing Council leader Councillor Julian Bell, welcomed the actions of the inspectors.

These are some revolting examples of what can happen when businesses do not maintain proper standards of cleanliness which is ultimately their own responsibility.

We take food safety very seriously and actively uncover and immediately shut down restaurants and food traders right across the borough who put the public in danger.

– Councillor Julian Bell, Ealing Council leader

He said the council would continue to work with the companies to ensure they maintain their standards.