More than a million people are expected to attend Europe's biggest carnival in Notting Hill this bank holiday weekend.
While police have issued guidance on how to stay safe this year, here's your guide to getting there, getting back and have a great time while you're there!
- Saturday 23 August: Panorama, a free open-air annual steel band competition for the whole family, steel band and general music lovers, held at Emslie Horniman Pleasance centre.
- Sunday 24 August: J'overt marks the opening of the Carnival followed by Family Day, a jubilant Children's Parade showcasing flamboyant costumes along the carnival route.
- Monday 25 August: Monday Parade, The Grand Finale and main carnival parade, showcases a sea of vibrant colours as bands and floats in magnificent costumes dance to the tantalizing rhythms of Carnival.
Getting there and home again - plan ahead.
There will be extensive road closures in Notting Hill, Ladbroke Grove and Westbourne Park areas from:
There will be road closures from:
- Sunday 24 August from 06:00 until around 23:59
- Monday 25 August from 06:00 until around 03:00 on the morning of Tuesday 26 August
- Harrow Road in the north
- Notthing Hill Gate in the south
- Clarendon Road in the west
- Queensway in the east
Transport for London advises that the road closures will make traffic around the event areas busier than usual, including A5 Edgware Road, Holland Park Avenue, Notting Hill Gate and Bayswater Road.
It advises drivers to avoid these parts of west London, or allow extra time for delays.
Some Barclays Cycle Hire docking stations in the Carnival area will be suspended from 21:00 on Saturday 23 August until 07:00 on Tuesday 26 August.:
- Turquoise Island
- Pembridge Villas
- Chepstow Villas
- Notting Hill Gate station
- Hereford Road
- Ladbroke Grove (central)
- Landsdowne Walk
- All Saints Church
- Blenheim Crescent
- All Saints Road
- Westbourne Park Road (Powis Gardens)
Stations will be busier than usual and there are planned closures for Sunday 24 and Monday 25:
- Ladbroke Grove (Circle and Hammersmith & City lines) will be closed on Sunday 24 and Monday 25
- Latimer Road (Circle and Hammersmith & City lines) will be closed 23:30 on Sunday 24 and Monday 25
- Notting Hill Gate (Central, Circle and District lines) will be exit-only between 11:00-19:00 and no interchange between District, Circle and Central lines on Sunday 24 August. On Monday 25 August this station will be exit only and District and Circle lines will be non stopping between 11:00-19:00. There will be no interchange between the District, Circle and Central lines all day. Please go to Bayswater or Paddington stations instead
- Queensway (Central Line) will be exit only between 11:00-19:00 on Sunday 24 and Monday 25 August
- Royal Oak will be exit-only between 11:00-18:00 and closed from 23:30 on Sunday 24 and Monday 25 August
- Westbourne Park will be exit-only between 11:00-18:00 and closed from 23:30 on Sunday 24 and Monday 25 August
Stations with no planned closures:
- High Street Kensington (Circle and District lines)
- Holland Park (Central line)
- Queen's Park (Bakerloo line)
- Shepherd's Bush (Central line)
- Bayswater (Circle and District line). On Monday 25 August, between 12:00-19:00, customers are advised to use this station as Circle and District line trains will not stop at Notting Hill Gate
- Paddington (Hammersmith & City and Circle lines) on Sunday 24 and Monday 25 August - customers are advised to use this station instead of Notting Hill Gate or Royal Oak, as both these stations will have entry restrictions
Overground stations with no closures:
- Queen's Park
- Kensal Rise
- Kensal Green
- Shepherd's Bush
From 16:00 on Saturday 23 August until the end of the Carnival weekend, route 23 will be affected due to a road diversion in place for the Panorama event.
From around 02:00 on Sunday 24 August until 05:00 on Tuesday 26 August, buses in and around the event area will be on diversion or will terminate earlier than usual to avoid the road closures.
During these times, buses will start from the Prince of Wales on Harrow Road to the north of the Carnival area.
To the south of the Carnival area buses will start from Notting Hill Gate.
Bus stops within or adjacent to the area will carry displays about diversions or disruptions.
Bus routes affected include: 6, 7, 16, 18, 23, 27, 28, 31, 36, 46, 52, 70, 94, 98, 148, 187, 205, 220, 228, 295, 316, 328, 332, 390, 414, 436, 436X, 452, N7, N16, N18, N28, N31 N98 and N207.
Magenta wayfinding signage will be in place to help carnivalgoers get between transport hubs and the event.