Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Dog almost dies after eating five packets of chewing gum

A dog almost died after eating five packets of chewing gum and collapsing.

Coco munched 30 pieces of sugar-free spearmint gum which contains a sweetener that is toxic to dogs.

She swallowed the gum after finding the packets in a drawer she managed to pull out while her owner was away.

James Michael returned home to find Coco collapsed in the kitchen and immediately called vets to help.

I knew something was wrong because she usually jumps up at me when I get in the front door.

I found her lying flat on her side on the floor in the kitchen. She looked paralysed.

I didn't know chewing gum was poisonous for dogs until the vet at Blue Cross told me I needed to bring Coco in immediately. I was panicking and thinking she wasn't going to pull through.

– James Michael, dog owner

Sugar-free gum contains a sweetener that is toxic to dogs called xylitol, which is also found in some sweets, mouthwashes, toothpastes and supplements.

Signs of poisoning can be rapid or delayed, and include vomiting, lethargy, convulsions and comas.