Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Man accidentally sets fire to his clothes while lighting cigarette

A pensioner who died after being found in flames on the street accidentally ignited his clothing while lighting a cigarette, a coroner has concluded.

John Nolan Credit: Met Police

John Nolan's death near his flat in Tottenham, north London, was the subject of a police appeal for witnesses while they were unable to explain the incident.

But coroner Andrew Walker concluded on Tuesday that the retired construction worker, 70, originally from the west of Ireland, died as a result of "accidental ignition of clothing".

It's likely that Mr Nolan accidentally set his clothes on fire whilst lighting a cigarette.

– Andrew Walker, coroner

The Irishman, who was found with a pack of cigarettes and two lighters, suffered severe burns on 65% of his body after being alight for around six minutes.

The coroner agreed with the police's ultimate conclusion that Mr Nolan did not ignite himself deliberately, there was no-one else involved and a flammable liquid did not aid the fire.

Instead it was a "really tragic accident" aided by his lack of mobility, he said.

After the inquest, John Nolan's nephew Kevin Byrne said the family agreed with the conclusion and it brought them some comfort.