The Health and Safety Executive have released figures that show tradespeople are still at a risk of asbestos. Twenty tradespeople a week die from asbestos related diseases and many are unaware of the dangers.
Some of the key findings in London are:
- 1.3 million tradespeople at risk from asbestos exposure nationwide
- Tradespeople in London spend on average 2.18 days a week in buildings built before 2000, which have a high risk of containing asbestos. That's 90 days a year.
- Huge confusion in how to combat asbestos exposure - 1 in 4 actually thought opening a window would help.
- Only 15% knew that asbestos could be found in buildings built up to 2000.
- Tradespeople come into contact with asbestos over 100 times each year, on average