Crete trial: four convicted

Four men have been convicted of a vicious attack on a footballer in Greece, which left him with brain damage and memory loss. Robert Hughes was stabbed and stamped on while on holiday in Crete in 2008.

Live updates

Victory after a four-year fight for justice

After a court in Greece convicted four men for the brutal assault that left Robbie Hughes in a coma, his mother spares a thought for his attackers.

She expressed her hopes for the future of these attackers.

She and her son are celebrating victory in a four-year fight for justice.

She brought about a change in European law too.

Robbie Hughes was left for dead after being attacked in Crete in 2008.

The 31-year-old former Sutton United footballer needed four operations on his brain and lost his memory.

Ronke Phillips reports.


Four convicted in Crete attack

Four British men have tonight been convicted in Greece of carrying out a brutal attack on a young London footballer in Crete four years ago.

Two others were cleared.

Robert Hughes needed four operations on his brain after being left for dead in June 2008.The 31-year-old former Sutton United and Oxford United player lost his memory as a result. The four men have been give four-year suspended sentences.

Crete attack trial

Robert's mother has flown to Crete for the trial Credit: ITN

The trial is due to begin in Crete of six men from Sussex and Surrey, accused of an attack on a footballer from Croydon, which left him in a coma.

Robert Hughes now suffers short and long-term memory loss Credit: ITN

Robert Hughes was left brain-damaged after he was stabbed with a bottle and his head was stamped on while on holiday in Malia in 2008. The 27-year-old was so badly injured he spent two months in hospital and had four operations on his brain.

Robert didn't recognise his fiance following the attack Credit: ITN

The former Oxford United player lost his memory following the attack. His mother said he couldn't remember kicking a ball. He also didn't recognise his fiance, and the pair have now split up.

Six men from Sussex and Surrey have been extradited to Greece for the trial. If convicted, they face up to ten years in prison.

Back to top