- 3 updates
A girl has been found guilty of killing a 15-year-old boy in a row over football.
She was 14 at the time.
She called her boyfriend, who stabbed Junior Nkwelle on a Brixton housing estate. They are both now facing jail after being found guilty of manslaughter today.
Ronke Phillips reports.
Prosecutor Jonathan Turner QC said: "He (the defendant) had been telephoned by his girlfriend and told to come to the estate to teach Junior Nkwelle a lesson.
"There had been an argument between her friends and Junior's friends whilst the football was going on.
"She thought that Junior had insulted her or been less than respectful to her. She was very angry and determined that he should be punished - indeed stabbed - to put things right. She called up her boyfriend and was heard to tell Junior that she had arranged for somebody to come and stab him."
Mr Turner added: "He (the defendant) was encouraged and requested by her to come and do this. Indeed, to use an old-fashioned phrase, was 'set-up' by her to do this."
Mr Turner said the children had been arguing earlier in the evening. It might have been because the boys were thought to be playing too close to flats or that the girls were walking over the pitch.
"Whatever it was, it seems to have been stupid and trivial and completely unnecessary," he added.
The girl did not give evidence but her boyfriend told the court he had instinctively stabbed Junior while they were scuffling.
The girl was found guilty of the manslaughter of Junior Nkwelle, 15, along with her 17-year-old boyfriend.
The pair, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, were found not guilty of murder.
The court heard the girl called her then 16-year-old boyfriend to a housing estate in Brixton, south London, where he killed the keen footballer.
Junior and his friends had been playing football on a grassy area but the girl and her friends appeared to have taken offence.
The youngster was stabbed in the chest after the older boy arrived on a bus and started fighting with him.
He died on the makeshift pitch on the Loughborough estate in Brixton in September last year, after the knife cut his heart and a lung.
Jonathan Turner, QC, prosecuting, said it was likely Junior and his killer did not know each other and there was no quarrel between them.
The pair were remanded in custody at the Old Bailey to be sentenced on April 5.