Caution for Charles Saatchi

Charles Saatchi has accepted a caution for assault following images published in a newspaper of him placing his hands around the neck of his wife, Nigella Lawson.

Live updates

Removal men spotted at Nigella Lawson home

Removal men have been spotted taking boxes of items from the west London home of TV chef Nigella Lawson, little over a week after her husband was given a police caution for assault.

Chef Nigella Lawson. Credit: Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press/PA

Crates and cases were seen being loaded into a van outside their home in Chelsea, and are thought to have been taken to the bolthole in which she has been staying for several days.

Last week photographs of the TV chef and her millionaire husband Charles Saatchi were published which showed him holding her by the throat as they had an argument on the terrace of a restaurant.

Read more: Caution for Charles Saatchi

Saatchi accepted caution to stop incident 'hanging over' them

Art collector Charles Saatchi said today he had accepted a police caution for clutching his wife Nigella Lawson's throat to stop the altercation "hanging over" them.

The 70-year-old spoke out for a second time following the confrontation with Nigella, which he has dismissed as "a playful tiff".

Pictures published in the Sunday People showed him grasping her neck as they sat at a table at a central London restaurant.

He told London's Evening Standard today:

"Although Nigella made no complaint, I volunteered to go to Charing Cross station and take a police caution after a discussion with my lawyer because I thought it was better than the alternative of this hanging over all of us for months."

Advertisement

  1. National

'Inquiries in hand' over Nigella Lawson say police

Scotland Yard said it was aware of the pictures of Nigella Lawson which were published in the Sunday People.

A spokesman said: "Inquiries are in hand to establish the facts of the incident."

He added that Nigella has not made any complaint to the police.

Lawson and Saatchi's representatives did not respond to requests for comment today.

The couple are said to be regular visitors to the upmarket restaurant, in Mount Street, London, which claims to offer diners the "finest" oysters and fish.

Nigella married Mr Saatchi, who made his name in advertising, in 2003.

She has two children, Cosima and Bruno, from her marriage to journalist John Diamond, who died of throat cancer in 2001.

She became a household name in 1998 with her first cookery book, How to Eat.

  1. National

Row with Nigella Lawson a 'playful tiff' says Saatchi

Former advertising mogul and multi-millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi has admitted to the Evening Standard newspaper that he had a "playful tiff" with his wife and celebrity chef Nigella Lawson.

He told the paper: “About a week ago, we were sitting outside a restaurant having an intense debate about the children, and I held Nigella’s neck repeatedly while attempting to emphasise my point.

“There was no grip, it was a playful tiff. The pictures are horrific but give a far more drastic and violent impression of what took place. Nigella’s tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt.

“We had made up by the time we were home. The paparazzi were congregated outside our house after the story broke yesterday morning, so I told Nigella to take the kids off till the dust settled.”

  1. National

Nigella photographer: 'If it was a game it was a rough game'

The photographer who took some of the pictures of Nigella Lawson and her husband Charles Saatchi at a restaurant which show him with his hands around her throat has said that the couple and no idea that they were being photographed at the time.

Speaking to ITV News he said:

The pair did not know they were being photographed. I was completely hidden.

It wasn't a game, from what I saw, it was more…if that was a game it was a pretty rough game.

I couldn't hear what they were saying

The conversation and action became so worrying for the couple sitting next to them that the woman put her hands over her mouth in shock.

Advertisement

  1. National

Nigella Lawson leaves family home 'until the dust settles'

Millionaire art collector Charles Saatchi has responded to newspaper pictures which showed him with his hand on the throat of his wife, TV chef Nigella Lawson.

Telling the London Evening Standard that the photos looked "horrific" but were the result of what he called a "playful tiff."

He said that he and his wife have since reconciled but that Nigella has left the family home, "until the dust has settled."

  1. National

Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault

Art collector Charles Saatchi accepted a police caution for assault after photographs emerged appearing to show him grabbing his wife Nigella Lawson's throat.

Officers from the Community Safety Unit are aware of the Sunday People article, which was published on June 16th and have carried out an investigation.

This afternoon a 70-year-old man voluntarily attended a central London police station and accepted a caution for assault.

– Metropolitan Police spokesperson
Back to top