- There are currently more than 24,000 people signed up to the Local Resident Discount Scheme
- 4,000 local residents make more than 100 trips each in a year
- 700 of them make more than 400 trips a year
- These residents are set to save money with the £20 flat rate
– Patrick McLoughlin MP, Transport Secretary
Local businessmen and women use the Dartford crossing regularly to make deliveries into Essex and Kent.
They are the backbone of British industry and that is why I am keen to find new ways we can make their lives cheaper and easier.
At a cost of just over 5p a day we will help thousands of small businesses keep their costs down as well as saving money for those who currently belong to the residents' discount scheme.
4,000 people living close to the Dartford Crossing will be given the welcome option of cheaper travel from March next year. People registered in the Local Resident Discount Scheme will be able to make unlimited trips over the crossing for £20 a year.