Grief over teen diet pill death

The heartbroken parents of a fit, healthy and bright teenager who died after taking a toxic quick-fix diet pill said they were "incredulous" that it is so easily available at the click of a button without any legal comeback.

Parents 'unaware' healthy son was taking diet pills

Chris's father, David Mapletoft, said he had no idea his son was taking the pills. He said: "He was already slim, muscular and well built. We just think this was (for him) just another pound or two coming away from the midriff and then he would look fantastic on the beach.

"It is all speculation. We don't 100% know that because we have no idea what he was thinking. I can't think of another reason."

Chris Mapletoft who died after taking 2,4-dinitrophenol
Chris Mapletoft who died after taking 2,4-dinitrophenol Credit: PA Wire

Advertisement

Mother 'shocked to the core' over son's diet pill death

How many deaths does it need for somebody to say this is not acceptable?

We had no idea he was taking it. We are absolutely shocked to the core that he would take the risk because he was bright. He was not reckless.

I really find it unbelievable that with a few clicks of a button that this stuff is so widely available on the internet.

We are both incredulous that something that is not suitable for human consumption can be sold in tablet form with no obvious legal redress.

– Lesley Maplecroft, mother of Chris Mapletoft

Teenager dies after taking toxic 'quick-fix' diet pill

The parents of a healthy, bright teenager who died after taking a toxic diet pill said they were "incredulous" that it is so easily available at the click of a button without any legal comeback.

18-year-old Chris Mapletoft, from Twickenham
18-year-old Chris Mapletoft, from Twickenham Credit: PA Wire

18-year-old Chris Mapletoft died after taking 2,4-dinitrophenol, known as DNP. It is a chemical used in pesticides but sold online as a quick-fix diet aid.