- 4 updates
Haye's February 8 match against fellow Brit Tyson Fury will now be cancelled.
It's the second time Haye has had to pull out of the fight; he previously cancelled in September after sustaining an eye injury.
In a statement on his website, David Haye said:
“I genuinely believed the shoulder injury wasn't that bad...But the doctor sent me for a detailed MRI scan and within 24 hours I was told the full extent of the damage. Twenty-four hours after that I was in the operating theatre.
“It's a crushing blow for me. I had big plans for next year and the ultimate goal was to win back the world heavyweight title, something my amazing fans deserve.
"What I didn't anticipate was that this year would be the unluckiest of my career and that a number of injuries would disrupt my plans so much.
"Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be. The boxing Gods keep hinting that maybe enough is enough and that it's time to finally hang up my gloves.”
The boxer from Bermondsey tweeted this picture of him in a hospital bed last night with the message, 'I am truly gutted for my loyal fans'.
Haye's promoters say he had five hours of surgery in Germany last Thursday to reconstruct his right shoulder and in a statement say:
'[Haye] has since been told to seriously consider ending his glittering 11-year professional boxing career.
The operation was to the right subscapularis and bicep tendon attachments, both of which were ruptured.'