Terrace demolition begins

The demolition of part of an east London terrace gets underway today after cracks in the building were spotted over the weekend. Workers are also trying to retrieve treasured possessions from homes.

Live updates

Residents told they can't return to cracking flats

Residents of a block of flats in east London have been told they won't be allowed back into the building before it's torn down. On Friday night fire-fighters were called after cracks appeared on the outside of the building on Amhurst Road in Hackney.

Eight people were then forced to leave their homes, which are now due to be demolished. Dan Hewitt has been at the scene.

Demolition due to begin today

The demolition of part of an east London terrace is due to get underway today after cracks in the building were spotted over the weekend.

Officials are hoping to save four flats and a restaurant in another section of the structure, but one other restaurant and three flats will be knocked down first.

Advertisement

Fight to save Hackney Homes from collapse

Tenants living in a terrace in Hackney earmarked for emergency demolition after large cracks appeared in it, may have had a reprieve.

It had been feared that eight people would lose their homes and two businesses would have to shut after the building was declared 'incredibly unstable' on Friday night. But now, there could be some good news for the residents who have been made temporarily homeless.

Toby Sadler reports.

Amhurst Road to remain closed 'into next week'

Amhurst Road will remain closed today and into the early part of next week as demolition work continues on a terrace which has been deemed unsafe.

Bus routes are affected and motorists are advised to avoid the area due to heavy congestion.

The London Overground is continuing to operate from Hackney Central as normal.

Hackney Council are advising people to check the TFL website for updated transport information.

Advertisement

Update on emergency demolition in Hackney

A large section of Amhurst Road in Hackney is still closed today as work continues on the demolition of a terrace which has been deemed as unsafe after cracks appeared in its walls.

Hackney council say scaffolding is being erected today ahead of the demolition of a section of the building.

Contractors are due to enter three flats and the Raw Duck restaurant tomorrow with the aim of retrieving the belongings of those affected.

Once the first section is demolished, officials say an assessment will be carried out to determine whether the rest of the terrace, which houses four more flats and the Cirrick restaurant, can be saved.

Load more updates Back to top