Yesterday's industrial action had a knock-on effect on the roads. The Metropolitan Police Service Helicopter released this picture of gridlock in Trafalgar Square last night.
The conciliation service Acas said in a brief statement:
The parties in the London Underground dispute have agreed to come in and continue exploratory talks at Acas this Friday, February 7.
RMT leader Bob Crow said:
Our negotiators are geared up and ready to enter the exploratory talks on Friday.
In the meantime the current action continues with the rock solid support of our members and we will be back out on the picket lines early tomorrow morning as the strike heads into its third day.
Talks aimed at resolving the London Underground dispute will be held on Friday, but the strike will continue until tomorrow evening, Press Association sources said.
Union leader Bob Crow has suggested that those who want to ban strikes would be acting like "Hitler before the war".
Mayor of London Boris Johnson said a change in the law was needed to curb strikes, with some suggesting a 50 per cent minimum threshold in ballots for industrial action would help prevent disruption.
London commuters have faced major disruption with two-thirds of Tube services suffering as a result of the strikes.
There were ample warnings of travel chaos, but many had no choice but to brave a long and frustrating journey to work.
Luke Hanrahan joined one commuter whose half an hour journey turned into a four hour slog.
Members of the public posted pictures of Stratford Station on Twitter this morning, after overcrowding led to it being evacuated.
It was a frustrating commute for millions this morning - as the two sides in the dispute argued over the impact of the industrial action.
London Underground insisted two thirds of its stations were open - while union leaders claimed the network had been reduced to a skeleton service.
Our Political Correspondent Simon Harris explains.