- 1 update
The Health and Safety Executive has released figures that show the threat that asbestos still poses to tradespeople, especially in the London area. Twenty tradespeople a week die from asbestos related illness with many unaware of the risks.
Some of the key findings for the London area were:
- 1.3 million tradespeople at risk from asbestos exposure nationwide
- Tradespeople in London spend on average 2.18 days a week in buildings built before 2000, which have a high risk of containing asbestos. That's 90 days a year.
- Huge confusion in how to combat asbestos exposure - 1 in 4 actually thought opening a window would help
- Only 15% knew that asbestos could be found in buildings built up to 2000
- Tradespeople come into contact with asbestos over 100 times each year, on average
Minister Mark Harper, responsible for Health and Safety has now launched a campaign to raise awareness of the problem