Live updates

Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks in London for last day of film festival

Emma Thompson will be in town for the last day of the BFI film festival Credit: Hubert Boesl/DPA/Press Association Images

Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson will be in the capital for the last day of the BFI London Film Festival.

The pair will be on the red carpet for the screening of their film Saving Mr Banks, the story of how the movie Mary Poppins was made.

Advertisement

Chiwetel Ejiofor 'kept things real' in 12 Years a Slave

Chiwetel Ejiofor is the star of 12 Years a Slave which is out in January. Credit: Ian West/PA Wire

12 Years a Slave star Chiwetel Ejiofor has revealed he had no reservations about the harrowing scenes in the film, directed by Steve McQueen.

The British actor,36, plays Solomon Northup, a free black man who was kidnapped, tortured and sold into slavery in 1841.

"There was no other way to tell the story. I have to just slip down the rabbit hole and see what happens," he said ahead of the film's UK screening at the BFI London Film Festival.

Ejiofor continued: "I was aware of Steve and his films so I knew those places you'd have to go to and that's what I wanted - to tell the story. You can't tell a story about slavery without showing those scenes."

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Nyong'o and Steve McQueen on the red carpet at the Odeon West End cinema. Credit: Ian West/PA Wire
Model and actress Lily Cole also turned up the screening last night. Credit: Ian West/PA Wire