Live updates

Anton Ferdinand leaves QPR

Anton Ferdinand has left QPR.

The club said the move was arranged by mutual consent, leaving the 28-year-old defender a free agent.

Ferdinand had spent the second half of last season on loan at Turkish club Bursaspor.

The club said it would like to thank him for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future.

Ferdinand brothers issue statement on racism

Anton Ferdinand warming up for QPR Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire/Press Association Images

QPR defender Anton Ferdinand and his brother Rio of Manchester United have released a statement saying they have been disappointed by the FA and Professional Footballer's Association actions during the John Terry racism row.

Terry is currently serving a four-match ban after shouting a racial insult at Anton during a game last year. Since then, the football authorities have come under criticism for the way they dealt with the incident.

However, the Ferdinands have now said they want to work with the organisations to improve matters. They have also expressed their support for the Kick It Out campaign which tackles racism in football, though they added it may have to change to make it more relevant.

Advertisement

Kick it out critical of Chelsea stance

Chelsea have been criticised by football's equality group Kick It Out for keeping their punishment of John Terry secret.

The club said they had taken "further disciplinary action" against the defender after Terry decided to accept a four-match ban and £220,000 fine from the FA for racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand.

But Chelsea said they would be keeping their action "confidential" due to club policy.

Lord Herman Ouseley, chairman of Kick It Out, said that stance could damage Chelsea in the eyes of those people who had been waiting many months to see how the club handled the case.

Advertisement

Statement on behalf of Terry said he was 'disappointed' by verdict

Terry's representatives, Elite Management, said in a statement released on his behalf:

Mr Terry is disappointed that the FA Regulatory Commission has reached a different conclusion to the clear not guilty verdict of a court of law.

He has asked for the detailed written reasons of the decision and will consider them carefully before deciding whether to lodge an appeal.

Terry fined £220,000 and banned for four matches

A statement from the Football Association said:

An Independent Regulatory Commission has today [Thursday 27 September 2012] found a charge of misconduct against John Terry proven and has issued a suspension for a period of four matches and a fine of £220,000, pending appeal.

The Football Association charged Mr Terry on Friday 27 July 2012 with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Queens Park Rangers’ Anton Ferdinand and which included a reference to colour and/or race contrary to FA Rule E3[2] in relation to the Queens Park Rangers FC versus Chelsea FC fixture at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011.

The charge was the result of The FA’s long-standing investigation into this matter, which was placed on hold at the request of the Crown Prosecution Service and Mr Terry’s representatives pending the outcome of the criminal trial.

A hearing took place from 24-27 September 2012 before an Independent Regulatory Commission of The FA to consider the charge.

The decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission is as follows

Advertisement

Today's top stories