Live updates

  1. Anglia

Olympic gold medallist opens new baby unit

Now she was one of the star's of the Olympics, winning double Gold in cycling, and today Laura Trott was back at the Essex hospital where she was born to open a new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit..

20 year old Laura was a month premature when her Mum gave birth at the Princess Alexandra hospital in Harlow and was seriously ill but staff at the Unit ensured she made a full recovery as Russell Hookey explains


Woman charged over 'bleach bottle'

A woman has been charged with administering a noxious substance with intent to endanger life after an 11-month-old boy was given a bottle feared to contain bleach, police said.

Elaine Joyner, 53, of Vaughan Williams Close in Deptford will appear in court later today, Scotland Yard said.

The toddler was with his mother and grandmother in McDonald's on Eltham High Street, south east London, when the incident happened at around 12.40pm on Thursday.

He swallowed some of the contents and immediately vomited before being taken to hospital for observation. Police do not believe anyone else was affected.Joyner will appear at Bromley Magistrates' Court.

Twin girls for Mo Farah

Mo Farah

Olympic gold medal hero Mo Farah is celebrating his second double success of the summer today after his wife gave birth to twin girls.

The runner, who took gold in the 10,000m and 5,000m at the Games, described their arrival as "very exciting" and said he was present when Tania gave birth yesterday.

Mrs Farah was pictured heavily pregnant in the Olympic Stadium cheering her husband on alongside his stepdaughter Rihanna, before rushing onto the track to embrace him.

She gave birth just under two weeks after her husband's second triumph in the 5,000m in a memorable final in Stratford.

"My wife has been holding on so long and it's great that she held on this long and didn't give birth on the track (at the Olympics)," he said.

Asked to compare fatherhood to winning Olympic gold, he said: "It's completely different. It's out of your control, it was weird, but as a father I'm very proud. To have three kids in the family is going to be exciting."

They have yet to decide on names, he said, but he plans to get their names inscribed onto the medals once they have.

Asked whether he had shown the newborns his medals, he said: "No I didn't, but they are waiting.

"I am actually going to get their names on it, once we've figured out something with the medals - one on each. And then whatever one was born first gets the 10,000m and the other gets the 5,000m one."

Farah spoke at a press conference ahead of the Aviva Birmingham Grand Prix, where he will run a two-mile race tomorrow in which he could threaten Steve Ovett's 34-year-old British outdoor record of 8:13.51.

Mo will not be rushing back to the capital to see them today. "No, no, no, I've got a race tomorrow, haven't I," he said.

Mo Farah and family Credit: KP


Mother speaks out after son's Inquest

The mother of baby Tommy Hollis, who died when a lamppost crushed him in his buggy, spoke outside the Inquest into his death. A Jury ruled his death was an accident.

“We came here knowing it would be an extremely challenging time for us. However, we did not expect our upset and anguish to be compounded by what we feel was the coroner's decision to exclude from consideration questions and evidence that might lead us to better understand how our son, Tommy, was killed in February 2010.

“We feel let down that crucial witnesses were not called or declined to answer questions. In particular, Kelvin Elmore, who cut the plate, chose not to give evidence and explain to the Court, in person, why he did what he did.

– Kate Hollis, mother of Tommy Hollis

“Also, Hounslow Borough Council, under whose control these works were carried out, have been notably absent from these proceedings.

“We would also like know why there was no engineer on site at or around the time of the cut to the lamp post when it was apparent that the job was becoming more complicated; and how no one realised that the plate was connected to the lamp post despite it being so close.

“We know that nothing will bring back Tommy but we hope that by continuing to try to find the answers this court failed to find, nothing like it can ever happen again.”

– Kate Hollis, mother of Tommy Hollis
Load more updates