Live updates

Barnet Council backs plan to save Moss Hall Nursery

After a long campaign, Moss Hall Nursery has been saved from potentially devastating cuts to its budget.

In simple terms we did it, we got the council to accept the proposal, but we don't want to be doing it again so we need to ensure that we secure the core funding for future generations.

I myself cannot quite believe what we have achieved, I feel somewhat in a dream like status that in a moment I will awaken to a different verdict, I'm sure it will sink in soon! Many thought it would be impossible but you did it!

– Nikki Roberts, Save Moss Hall Nursery

You can watch the meeting in full below.

Man injured in north west London

Police are investigating after a suspected assault in north west London last night.

Officers were called to an incident outside a block of flats on the Graham Park Estate in Colindale, where they found an injured man, who was then taken to hospital.

Police in Barnet would like to hear from any witnesses. No arrests have been made and enquiries continue.

Advertisement

More Barnet nurseries join protest against budget cuts

Three more nurseries have joined in the protest against Barnet council's plans for budget cuts.

Barnet Unison, which represents St Margret's, Hampden Way and Brook Hill, are opposing the council's proposals that the three nurseries should merge to save money.

They have followed in the footsteps of Moss Hall Nursery School and launched their own petition online.

Moss Hall campaigners have continued to gain support with their petition now standing at over 2,400 signatures.

A council meeting is due to be held on October 28 at 7pm to decide plans for the future.

Barnet Council say they can't afford financial support to nursery

Barnet Council have said they are having to make cuts to Moss Hall Nursery because they can no longer afford the extra money it was receiving. The council says the subsidy was paid for because it had some spare subsidy left over from the Dedicated Schools Grant which will not available from next year. It says Moss Hall is one of four nursery schools who face cuts.

The four nursery schools offer an excellent service to parents and children in the borough but have received a one-off subsidy of £890,000 a year for the last two years over and above the income generated from ‘free entitlement’ places. This is 70% more than is paid to other Early Years providers. We can’t continue to provide that level of support indefinitely and three of the schools have proposed coming together, to achieve management efficiencies and grow services in order to be able to manage without any subsidy after two years. Unfortunately the proposals form Moss Hall Nursery School would require an ongoing subsidy and this would mean the school would be managed with a disproportionate amount of the funding available to support nursery children across the borough.

– Barnet Council

Petition to 'save' a nursery in Barnet from budget cuts

A petition has been launched to 'save' a nursery in Barnet from budget cuts.

Barnet Council officers have proposed to cut Moss Hall Nursery's budget in half and no longer pay for staff.

Campaigners are petitioning against proposed budget cuts at Moss Hall Nursery. Credit: NikkiRoberts/change.org

On a petitioning website, Nikki Roberts wrote:

The planned cuts to Moss Hall Nursery will cause irreparable damage to an outstanding community nursery school.

With the inevitable loss of staff from these cuts, this wonderful nursery will suffer and no longer be able to provide the standard of education and support to parents and the community it now does.

Once the drastic proposals are put in place the damage will be irreversible.

– Nikki Roberts

So far, almost 2,000 people have signed the petition. The campaigners have produced a video to make their case:

Advertisement

Men dressed as police officers handcuff and gag a woman to burgle her house

Detectives in Barnet have released an e-fit of a man they want to speak to after a woman was handcuffed and gagged and her house burgled by men pretending to be police officers.

Police want to speak to the man shown in this e-fit

In August this year the men knocked on the victim's door on Eagle Drive, shouting that they were police officers. They were dressed in fake police uniforms and produced a fake search warrant.

But when the victim let them in, they handcuffed her and gagged her with a piece of tape, threatened her with a knife and demanded money.

This was a horrendous attack on a female in her own home, which has left her extremely traumatised. I am appealing to anyone with information to come forward and assist in anyway they can.

– Detective Constable Andy Deamer, Metropolitan Police

Police want to trace the man shown in the e-fit above, who is thought to be around 25 years old, as well as an accomplice who is around 28 years old, tall and stocky with short, light brown hair.

Car left hanging from flats after midnight crash

A man's been arrested after hitting the front of a building in Barnet. The Ford Focus veered off the road and smashed through the front of the detached house in Capel Road, on a T-junction with Cranbrook Road.

No-one was hurt in the crash, which happened late last night, though some residents were trapped in their flats until this morning.

A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, drink driving, possession of cannabis, committing grievous bodily harm and assaulting a police officer.

Police release image of tattoo on two suspected robbers

Barnet Police have released a drawing of a distinctive tattoo etched on the bodies of two suspects, following a robbery at Stanway Gardens, Edgeware.

At approximately 11:05 on Thursday August 7 two men, wearing balaclavas and gloves, barged into a woman's house demanding to know where the safe was.

The victim handed over a quantity of cash and jewellery she had in her bedroom before a third suspect appeared and the trio left with items.

The distinctive tattoo is etched on the bodies of two suspects of a robbery in Stanway Gardens. Credit: Metropolitan Police

Police say the first suspect is a white 5ft 10in male with blue eyes, a pale/mid tone complexion and east European accent.The tattoo is on his upper arm.

The second suspect is said to be a white 6ft tall man of stocky build with brown eyes and a pale/mid tone complexion. He is believed to have an eastern European accent with a tattoo on the right side of neck.

The third suspect is said to be a white 5ft 10in male age between 30 and 40 of thin build, with an eastern European accent.

Load more updates