Barnet Council have said they are having to make cuts to Moss Hall Nursery because they can no longer afford the extra money it was receiving. The council says the subsidy was paid for because it had some spare subsidy left over from the Dedicated Schools Grant which will not available from next year. It says Moss Hall is one of four nursery schools who face cuts.
The four nursery schools offer an excellent service to parents and children in the borough but have received a one-off subsidy of £890,000 a year for the last two years over and above the income generated from ‘free entitlement’ places. This is 70% more than is paid to other Early Years providers. We can’t continue to provide that level of support indefinitely and three of the schools have proposed coming together, to achieve management efficiencies and grow services in order to be able to manage without any subsidy after two years. Unfortunately the proposals form Moss Hall Nursery School would require an ongoing subsidy and this would mean the school would be managed with a disproportionate amount of the funding available to support nursery children across the borough.
A petition has been launched to 'save' a nursery in Barnet from budget cuts.
Barnet Council officers have proposed to cut Moss Hall Nursery's budget in half and no longer pay for staff.
On a petitioning website, Nikki Roberts wrote:
The planned cuts to Moss Hall Nursery will cause irreparable damage to an outstanding community nursery school.
With the inevitable loss of staff from these cuts, this wonderful nursery will suffer and no longer be able to provide the standard of education and support to parents and the community it now does.
Once the drastic proposals are put in place the damage will be irreversible.
So far, almost 2,000 people have signed the petition. The campaigners have produced a video to make their case:
Hugh Barker, a hedge enthusiast from Barnet, has made it on to the Dull Men's Club 2015 calendar - full of Britain's most boring menRead the full story ›
Detectives in Barnet have released an e-fit of a man they want to speak to after a woman was handcuffed and gagged and her house burgled by men pretending to be police officers.
In August this year the men knocked on the victim's door on Eagle Drive, shouting that they were police officers. They were dressed in fake police uniforms and produced a fake search warrant.
But when the victim let them in, they handcuffed her and gagged her with a piece of tape, threatened her with a knife and demanded money.
This was a horrendous attack on a female in her own home, which has left her extremely traumatised. I am appealing to anyone with information to come forward and assist in anyway they can.
Police want to trace the man shown in the e-fit above, who is thought to be around 25 years old, as well as an accomplice who is around 28 years old, tall and stocky with short, light brown hair.
A man's been arrested after hitting the front of a building in Barnet. The Ford Focus veered off the road and smashed through the front of the detached house in Capel Road, on a T-junction with Cranbrook Road.
The house in Capel Road this morning, thank goodness he went into hallway & nobody was hurt! http://t.co/mm4OwTk9uQ
No-one was hurt in the crash, which happened late last night, though some residents were trapped in their flats until this morning.
A 30-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving, drink driving, possession of cannabis, committing grievous bodily harm and assaulting a police officer.
Barnet Police have released a drawing of a distinctive tattoo etched on the bodies of two suspects, following a robbery at Stanway Gardens, Edgeware.
At approximately 11:05 on Thursday August 7 two men, wearing balaclavas and gloves, barged into a woman's house demanding to know where the safe was.
The victim handed over a quantity of cash and jewellery she had in her bedroom before a third suspect appeared and the trio left with items.
Police say the first suspect is a white 5ft 10in male with blue eyes, a pale/mid tone complexion and east European accent.The tattoo is on his upper arm.
The second suspect is said to be a white 6ft tall man of stocky build with brown eyes and a pale/mid tone complexion. He is believed to have an eastern European accent with a tattoo on the right side of neck.
The third suspect is said to be a white 5ft 10in male age between 30 and 40 of thin build, with an eastern European accent.
An 8-year-old boy has been seriously injured after a bus hit him while he was riding his bike in Barnet.
He suffered head and leg injuries in the collision and was taken to hospital, where he remains.
His injuries are currently described as life threatening.
The driver of the bus stopped at the scene and has not been arrested.
Police are appealing for witnesses.
The election in Barnet council's Colindale ward has been postponed after a candidate's death. The existing councillors for the ward are from Labour which is targeting the borough as a possible control gain. Results are due later today.
An ITV London FOI request revealed Newham spent more on compensation than the top 7 boroughs combined, while Barnet had the most complaintsRead the full story ›
A car rolled off the forecourt of a dealership this morning and ended up on a crash barrier on the M1.
The motorway was partly closed for nearly three hours after part of the wooden fence was demolished. No one was injured and the West London Motor Group on Watford Way have so far declined to comment.