Live updates

Essex Police release e-fit over distraction burglary in Basildon

The man in the e-fit is described is aged 26 to 27 and around 5ft 8in tall Credit: Essex Police

Detectives investigating a distraction burglary at a flat in Basildon want to hear from anyone who recognises an e-fit of this suspect.

Two men tricked their way into the home of a 58-year-old victim after calling at the flat on Tuesday 12th August.

The suspects told the resident they were investigating a leak from the flat above and needed to check his flat for leaks and his water pressure.

Both men then entered the flat and the first man took the victim into the kitchen to check the taps while the second man searched the bedrooms.

On this occasion it appears that nothing was stolen but we have established that these men were not legitimate tradesmen and I would urge all householders to be wary of letting anyone into their homes who cannot provide bona fide identification

– DC Nick May, Essex Police

The man in the e-fit is described as a white man, aged 26 to 27, around 5ft 8in to 5ft 9in tall, with short dark, straight, tidy brown hair. He was wearing a black jacket and brown trousers.

The second suspect is described as a white man, with a tanned complexion, aged in his early 30s, and of medium build. He had dark, spiked up hair and was wearing a pink shirt, a light coloured tie, grey trousers, and black shoes.

Man wanted over Essex assault

Man wanted in connection with an assault in Basildon Credit: Essex Police

Essex Police want help to identify this man. Detectives want to speak to him in connection with the assault of a woman in Basildon on July 20th.

Shortly before 3am, the woman in her 50s, was pushed to the ground and kicked in the ribs in Colors nightclub.

The attack followed an argument. The woman was treated for internal bruising in hospital.

Anyone who recognises the man pictured should call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Teenager admits illegal gun possession which injured 5 year old

A teenager has admitted illegally possessing a gun which went off by accident, injuring a five-year-old boy.

18 year old Johnny Wilson was looking after the child and an eight-year-old at his home in Essex when the incident happened in November last year.

Basildon Crown Court heard that the children were playing a game of cops and robbers after finding the gun on Wilson's bed when the shot was fired.

Wilson, from Wickford, admitted possessing a firearm without a certificate and possession of cannabis on Friday, the court confirmed.

The child was seriously injured in his left eye and taken to Basildon Hospital before being transferred to the Royal London.

Wilson is due to be sentenced at a date in July.

Illegal traveller sites 'should be cleared more quickly'

Councils have been told to act faster to shut down illegal traveller sites, to prevent a repeat of another situation like Dale Farm.

The clearance by bailiffs in Essex ended in violent clashes and came after an expensive 10-year legal battle.

Today, Brentwood MP and Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles said authorities were still failing to use powers to stop it happening again.

Ria Chatterjee reports.

Councils 'fail to use' powers to shut down illegal traveller camps

Councils must act quicker to shut down illegal traveller sites - like Dale Farm in Essex - according to Brentwood MP and local government secretary Eric Pickles.

He claims that too often authorities say "nothing can be done" about the problem and fail to use the powers available to them.

Ria Chatterjee has the story.

Advertisement

  1. National

Councils 'take swift action against illegal camps'

The Local Government Association (LGA) has said councils already take swift action against illegal traveller camps, and provide sites and services for traveller communities.

An illegal traveller encampment inside the grounds of Eton college back in 2002. Credit: Press Association

Responding to the new guide issued for councils to enable them to take swifter action against illegal encampments, an LGA spokesperson said:

"Councils across the country are providing authorised legitimate sites and services for travelling communities.

“People who live nearby need to be given a say on whether land is appropriate for travellers, and that is precisely what the planning process is there to do.

“Local authorities take swift and robust action against anyone who breaks the rules by setting up camp on land without permission.”

  1. National

Gypsy Council: Open season on ethnic minorities

The government has been accused of reinforcing "negative stereotypes" about travellers by the chairman of the Gypsy Council. Speaking on Sky News he said the new guide for councils contained no new information and accused the government of grandstanding:

It's creating tension, it's a negative thing to do. At the moment it seems like a theme. Recently we have had the Go Home campaign, then we have the bongo bongo thing going on.

It seems like open season on ethnic minorities.

Local authorities already know how to manage unauthorised encampments, they don't need the Government to tell them how to do it.

  1. National

Pickles: Travellers do not need more sites

Travellers do not need more sites in the UK as these were already provided for in the local development plan, the Communities and Local Government Minister told Daybreak.

Eric Pickles dismissed accusations that his new policy, Temporary Stop Notices, exacerbated tensions with travellers by imposing unlimited fines on them for refusing to move if evicted.

It is part of a local development plan to provide sites. But that does not mean that in the same way as we would be down on a householder who decides to build on green belt, we would be down on a householder who decides to occupy public land and we are not going to treat travellers in a different way.

– Eric Pickles, Minister for Communities and Local Government
  1. National

Councils 'do not need more powers' to evict travellers

Councils do not need more powers to move travellers on if they are causing problems, Romany journalist Jake Bower told Daybreak.

More safe sites for travellers to set up a temporary community in needed to be built if the two communities were to live peacefully side-by-side, he added.

There is not enough sites for people, so people are forced to park on places [like playing fields] so you have a culture that is brought into conflict....

What I would like to see the government do is less of the whip and more of the carrot. They can only solve this problem if they build....councils have more powers than they need to move travellers on.

It is making a moral case and a legal case.

– Jake Bower Romany journalist
Load more updates