The father of teenager Mert Karaoglan, believed to be the teenager who died after being hit by a First Capital Connect (FCC) service in Hertfordshire on Monday night, has spoken of his grief.
Mert's father, named by the Sun as Sakru, 48, told the newspaper:
We told him not to be out late. We were waiting and waiting. Then the police came round to see us at nine this morning. I can't stop crying. He was a happy person - everything seemed okay.
Friends of two teenagers hit by a train in Hertfordshire have taken to social networking sites to pay tribute to them.
An 18-year-old schoolboy and a 15-year-old girl, believed to be Charleigh Disbrey, were killed on Monday night after being hit by a First Capital Connect (FCC) service just outside Elstree and Borehamwood station.
R.I.P CJ and MERT!! So sad!! Thoughts are with family and friends!!
Two teenagers have died in an apparent suicide pact after being hit by a train in Borehamwood in Hertfordshire. Their headteacher tonight described them as talented, hard-working and respected members of Hertswood Academy.
A friend said "Instead of dwelling on what just happened, we should be happy we were blessed enough to have known [either of] them." This report is from Tom Barton.
Both teenagers who died in the Hertfordshire train incident last night were "talented, hard-working and well-respected members of our academy," said their headmaster Peter Gillett, of Hertswood Academy.
The schoolgirl who died in the Hertfordshire train incident last night is believed to be 15-year-old Charleigh Disbrey from the Borehamwood area, British Transport Police said today.
Hertswood Academy in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire displayed the following message on their website today:
"At the start of the school day today we were contacted by the British Transport Police to inform us of an incident that had occurred overnight involving two of our students.
From the details that we have been given we believe that two of our students, one in year 10, and one in year 13, have tragically died.
Students and staff have been informed this morning and we are offering counselling to those affected by this tragedy. We will be closely monitoring the wellbeing of all students in the coming days and offering any necessary support.
Our thoughts are obviously with the parents and families of those who have died and we would ask all to respect their privacy at this most difficult time."
Roger Perkins, a spokesman for First Capital Connect, said:
“Two youths were hit by our St Albans to Sutton southbound service, 200 yards north of Elstree and Borehamwood station on the Thameslink route.
“There were no passengers on board the train but there were two drivers in the cab, both of whom are being offered our full care and support.
“The emergency services were on the scene investigating and, together with Network Rail, we have been doing everything we can to help.
“This was a shocking incident and our hearts go out to those involved. We have been giving our full support to our employees who were at the scene and will do all we can to help the emergency services in their investigation.”
British Transport Police say they are not treating the deaths as suspicious. A spokesman said:
"BTP and Hertfordshire Constabulary officers were called to Elstree and Borehamwood station on Monday, 17 June following a report that two people had been struck by a train.
The incident was reported to BTP at 8.57pm.
Medics also attended the incident, but sadly a male and female, both believed to be teenagers, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Officers are currently investigating to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident, which is currently being treated as non-suspicious.”
Two teenagers have been killed after being struck by a train at a station in Hertfordshire.
It is believed the teenage boy and girl - thought to be in their late teens - were already on the tracks when they were hit by the train just before 9pm last night.
Paramedics arrived on the scene quickly but soon realised there was nothing they could do to help the two.
The St Albans to Sutton service train involved in the incident wasn't carrying any passengers.
East of England Ambulance spokesman Gary Sanderson said: "First and foremost our thoughts are with the families and all involved in this tragic incident.
"On arrival it was evident nothing could be done and both patients were pronounced dead shortly after."