Live updates

Knifeman jailed for Buckingham Palace break in attempt

A knifeman who tried to break into Buckingham Palace to complain about his benefits being cut has been jailed for 16 months. 44-year-old David Belmar jumped over a barrier armed with a six inch knife in October last year.

Aerial view of Buckingham Palace Credit: Press Association

Belmar was rugby tackled to the ground by armed police in the palace forecourt. Horrified tourists and their children looked on at the gates. The knife was found hidden inside a plastic bag in his jacket pocket.

New royal children exhibition

Details of how the royal children lived at Buckingham Palace over the last 250 years will be revealed at an exhibition next summer. The Royal Childhood exhibition will cover the years from the purchase of the palace by George III in 1761 to the birth of Prince George of Cambridge this year.

It will include photographs, clothing and the children's favourite toys. The exhibition will run throughout the summer opening of the Palace in August and September 2014.

Advertisement

Charles' new scheme to curb gang violence

Charles in Sri Lanka.
Charles in Sri Lanka. Credit: : Chris Jackson/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Prince Charles is to launch a campaign to boost the numbers of young volunteers in a bid to curb gang violence.

The Prince of Wales told the The Mail on Sunday that street murders can occur because young people lack structured activities.

Charles will join the Prime Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition at Buckingham Palace this week along with 50 young people to launch a pledge campaign called #iwill.

Charles said that currently only 29 per cent of young people volunteer regularly, but wants 50 per cent of youngsters aged 10-20 to volunteer by 2020.

Eleven arrests over Anonymous Million Mask March

  • Scotland yard says eleven people were arrested nine for public order offences and two for criminal damage
  • Officers in riot gear controlled the crowd, which was part of a pre-arranged Anonymous Million Mask March
  • Several similar events were carried out in cities in Japan, Australia, and New Zealand in opposition to austerity cuts, corruption and an increase in state surveillance

Advertisement

Two famous London monuments damaged in protests

Hundreds of masked Anonymous protesters descended on Buckingham Palace and Parliament Square as part of a worldwide march against austerity cuts. A fire was started just yards from the gates of the palace as protesters threw glass bottles during clashes with police last night.

Protestors stand on the Queen Victoria Memorial outside Buckingham Palace Credit: Press Association

Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square and the Victoria Memorial near the palace were damaged during the demonstrations. Fireworks were also reportedly thrown towards Buckingham Palace.

Fireworks are fired at Buckingham Palace Credit: Press Association

Man with knife arrested at Palace

A man was arrested today after trying to enter Buckingham Palace while in possession of a knife, Scotland Yard said.

The 44 year old was held at around 11.30am when he attempted to get through the north centre gate and was stopped by police. Officers searched him and he was found to have a knife.

He was arrested on suspicion of trespassing on a protected site and possession of an offensive weapon and is in custody.

Buckingham Palace said that the Queen was not in the building when the man tried to get in, but would make no further comment.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories