Live updates

Police appeal for help to find missing girl from Chigwell

Angjela Ahmetaj was last seen on Tuesday. Credit: Essex Police

Essex Police are trying to trace a 14 year-old girl who has not been seen since Tuesday. Angjela Ahmetaj, who is also known as Ela Collett, last made contact with her family on Thursday but police now want information on where she is.

She is from Chigwell but is known to have friends in Epping Forest as well as East and Central London. Anyone with information should contact Essex Police on 101.

Teacher who gave birth in class describes surreal experience

A primary schoolteacher who gave birth in a classroom at a Primary School in Chigwell has been describing her "surreal" experience. Speaking to the Ilford Recorder, 30-year-old Diane Krish-Veeramany said:

My first labour lasted 13 hours so when I had the first contraction, I thought I had some time but he was in a hurry.

I was trying to keep calm because I was with my friends and it kept going through my mind that I was at work.

You carry this child for nine months and you build your hopes up.

It was only when I had him in my arms and I was holding him that it sunk in and I cried out to God to say thank you.

I'm so grateful that he's fine and I'm fine.

– Diane Krish-Veeramany

Three colleagues acted as improvised midwives to help Diane Krish-Veeramany deliver her second child, Jonah, after she came out of a morning meeting. She was later taken by paramedics to Queen's Hospital, in Romford, and later allowed to take Jonah home.


Nursery fined over toddler death

Nursery bosses in Essex have been ordered to pay out £220,000 following the death of a toddler.

Two-year-old Rhiya Malin was discovered hanging in the roof of a playhouse, in the garden at Eton Manor Nursery, Roding Lane, Chigwell, on 7 November 2007.

Kayley Murphy, an assistant at the nursery who was found guilty of failing to take responsibility for people at work, was also fined £2,400.

It's thought that Rhiya may have climbed onto a scooter inside the playhouse, and then got her head trapped in the roof space.

The court was told that she died of a heart attack as a result of the compression of blood vessels.

She was not observed going into the playhouse and staff only realised she was missing when they took the other children back into class.

Chelmsford Crown Court heard that Miss Murphy, 25, of Greenfields, Loughton, had been seen chatting on her mobile four times in the half hour before the girl was discovered.

The companies that own the nursery, Casterbridge Care and Education and Casterbridge Day Nurseries, both of Great Portland Street, London, which had admitted a breach of health and safety rules, were jointly fined £150,000 with £70,000 costs.

As she imposed the fines Judge Walden-Smith said: "Rhiya Malin was very young and therefore highly vulnerable and the business was as a nursery where the care of children is paramount.

"The companies failed in their core obligation and the breaches at the nursery were not a one-off.

"It was entirely foreseeable the failure to comply with health and safety obligations including providing adequate supervision, would place children at risk of potentially serious injury."