Live updates

National

Profile: DJ Campbell

DJ Campbell has played and scored goals in the Premier League. Credit: Dave Thompson/PA Wire/

DJ Campbell is the latest, and most high profile, footballer known to have been arrested as part of a spot-fixing investigation.

  • A 32-year-old striker who currently plays for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship
  • Shot prominence in 2005 with his goalscoring exploits at non-league Yeading, which led to a £500,000 move to Premier League Birmingham City
  • Joined Leicester City in 2007 for £1.6 million, but scored just five goals for the club.
  • Moved to Blackpool in 2010 for a club record fee of £1.25m and had his most successful season, scoring an impressive 13 goals in the Premier League
  • Queens Park Rangers bought him for £1.2m in 2011, but he failed to shine in west London and signed for Blackburn, where he has so far failed to score a goal.
  • Has also played for Ipswich, Derby County and Brentford.

Advertisement

National

Blackburn confirm DJ Campbell has been arrested

Blackburn Rovers striker DJ Campbell has been arrested as part of a football "spot-fixing" investigation, his club has confirmed.

Blackburn Rovers forward DJ Campbell
Blackburn Rovers forward DJ Campbell Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

The 32-year-old is one of six people detained in an investigation by the National Crime Agency after it acted on information passed by the Sun on Sunday newspaper.

In a statement, Blackburn Rovers FC said: "Following reports in today's national media, Blackburn Rovers can confirm that striker DJ Campbell has been arrested.

"The club will be making no further comment on what is now an ongoing legal matter."

Ali Dizaei sacked for a second time

Ali Dizaei at Southwark Crown Court in 2010 Credit: Reuters

Corrupt police chief Ali Dizaei has lost his job at Scotland Yard for a second time.

The 49-year-old, who has twice been jailed for corruption, was dismissed from his post as commander after an internal disciplinary tribunal.

The dismissal came after he was found guilty of misconduct and perverting the course of justice at a retrial in February.

He was sentenced to three years in prison but that was cut by the time he'd already spent behind bars after a conviction in 2010 was quashed by the Court of Appeal.

He won his job back at the Metropolitan Police but was suspended on a full salary pending disciplinary action.

Today, a spokesman for Dizaei said: "His case against the Metropolitan Police Service and his conviction is not over."

Dizaei is appealing the conviction and plans to go to take the Met to an employment tribunal next year.

Advertisement

Today's top stories