Live updates

Another arrest in relation to Dagenham murder

25-year-old Ashley Latty was killed in Dagenham on May 18 Credit: Met Police

Police investigating the murder of 25-year-old Ashley Latty on May 18 have made a further arrest. A 22-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. He's since been bailed until late June.

Two men, 33-year-old Nana Oppong and 23-year-old Adam Penny, have been charged with murder and have been remanded in custody while awaiting their next court appearance.

Three more arrests over Dagenham murder

Police investigating the murder of a 25-year-old man in Dagenham have made three further arrests.The men were arrested at separate addresses across east London last night. All three have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remain in custody.

Two men previously arrested in connection with the investigation have been bailed until July.Police were called at around 5.30am on Sunday to reports of someone stabbed outside The Beaver Centre on Selinas Lane in Dagenham.

Paramedics took the victim, a 25-year-old man, to an east London hospital, but he was pronounced dead at approximately later that morning. Officers are awaiting formal identification.

A post-mortem gave cause of death as multiple stab wounds.

Advertisement

Murder investigation launched in Dagenham

A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a man in Dagenham.

Police were called at around 5:30am on this morning to reports of someone stabbed outside The Beaver Centre on Selinas Lane.

The victim, believed to be 24 years old, was taken to an east London hospital with multiple wounds. He was pronounced dead at around 7:15am.

Officers believe they know who the victim is but await formal identification.

Police say they believe the stabbing took place during a dispute between two groups at the entrance to a function being held at the venue.

A 38-year-old man has been arrested and is in custody. Detectives are appealing for witnesses.

'More work needed' to cut crime further in London

More work is need to cut crime further in the capital, the Metropolitan Police said, as it was revealed that 46,500 few crimes had been committed in the last financial year.

New figures released by Scotland Yard revealed that criminal offences had reduced by 6.2% with burglary at its lowest levels in 40 years.

Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne said the force had reported some excellent results in "tackling gangs, weapon-related crime and youth violence", adding:

This has all been achieved as a result of a lot of hard work by our officers across London and support from our partners to bring offenders to justice and improve our service to victims.

We are moving in the right direction, but there’s still a great deal of work to do to cut crime further. I hope the people of London will be reassured by these successes and our commitment to making our city a safe and great place to be.

Burglary at 'lowest levels in 40 years'

The number of reported burglaries in London is at its lowest levels in more than 40 years.

Police recorded 46,500 fewer crimes in the last financial year, official figures have revealed.

  • Robberies down by 19%
  • Mobile phone thefts fell by 14%
  • Burglaries drop by 8%
  • Youth violence fell by 4.1%

The number of recorded rapes increased by 31.6% with police suggesting this was a reflection on victims having greater confidence in reporting the crime to officers.

Read: Police claim criminal offences fell by 6.2%

Advertisement

Police claim criminal offences fell by 6.2%

Metropolitan Police said there was a 6.2% fall in the number of criminal offences in the Capital in the last financial year.

The Met has reported a reduction in the number of crimes committed in the last financial year. Credit: PA Wire

Latest crime figures released showed that there was 46,000 fewer crimes committed during the financial year 2013/14.

Police cited a series of "proactive measures" including joint operations across the Met to target specific areas of crime as key factors in the reduction.

Assistant Commissioner Simon Bryne said the public would be reassured by the success and the Met's commitment to making London safer.

Axe-wielding robbers attempt to raid watch shop

Police have released CCTV pictures of the attempted robbery. Credit: Metropolitan Police.

Armed robbers tried to smash their way into a watch shop in New Bond Street on Monday.

Scotland Yard said the attempted raid took place at Watches of Switzerland at around 11:05am.

Six men riding on mopeds targeted the shop. Credit: Metropolitan Police.

Six men on three mopeds rode towards the store, rammed the door and hit it with a sledgehammer and an axe.

One of the gag sprayed people with a noxious liquid, believed to be ammonia, injuring a security guard. It's also believed that one of them was carrying a handgun.

The attempted raid took place in broad daylight. Credit: Metropolitan Police.

Staff managed to operate security shutters and, although the gang left empty-handed, damage estimated at several thousand pounds was caused and the security guard remains in hospital. His injuries are potentially life-changing.

Police are appealing for witnesses.

The gang was armed with an axe, a handgun and a sledgehammer. Credit: Metropolitan Police.

Police investigate the death of a man in South Norwood.

Police are investigating the death of a 37 year-old man this morning in an alleyway off Station Road, South Norwood. The man was found on his own, seriously injured, and was taken to Kings College Hospital, where he later died.

Police believe they know the identity of the man, however he is yet to be formally identified. The death is being treated as suspicious. Police are still trying to determine the motive for the attack.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories