A research project by Crossrail has revealed the names of more than 5,000 Londoners buried in Bedlam burial ground in Liverpool Street.Read the full story ›
The project's 1,000-tonne tunnel machine, named Elizabeth after the Queen, broke into the eastern end of Liverpool Street Crossrail station.Read the full story ›
The first train may not roll along the Crossrail route until 2018. But for some the effects could be felt long before then.Read the full story ›
Crossrail is giving members of the public an opportunity to visit the archaeological excavation taking place at Westbourne Park today.
In the 1800's due to the expansion of Great Western Railway the engine sheds and workshops were moved from Paddington to Westbourne Park. Many of these buildings were then demolished in 1906 when the company moved its operation to Old Oak Common.
People are being given escorted site tours with Crossrail and an Oxford archaeologist who will be explaining all the site's history.
When completed, Crossrail will stretch from Reading and Heathrow in the west across to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east. It will encompass over a 100km of track and include nine new railway stations.
Watch the video of Crossrail's tunneling machine, Ellie making her 900 metre journey from Canning Town to Victoria Docks.
- A new rail link at Old Oak Common would create a direct route to the City and Canary Wharf
- The plan would allow local services on the West Coast Mainline to bypass Euston, stopping at Paddington instead
- The current Crossrail plan involves services from Shenfield in Essex and Abbey Wood in Kent to Reading and Heathrow Airport
The government is considering a major extension to Crossrail to cut journey times for commuters from Hertfordshire.
Trains from Tring, Hemel Hempstead and Watford would be diverted on to the new £15bn high speed commuter line due to open in 2019.
A Victorian train tunnel that was left derelict has been given a new lease of life as part of Crossrail. The tunnel was built in 1878 and has not been in passenger use since 2006.
Work was required to deepen, strengthen and widen the structure and to remove 135 years of coal and soot from the bricks from the steam trains that originally used the tracks. Last summer, 13 million litres of water were drained from the dock that runs above the tunnel to allow Crossrail workers to access the structure from above.
The rail tunnel originally served the Royal Docks when they formed the largest enclosed docks in the world, serving large ships from all over the globe. It survived a hit from a bomb during WW2 and is the only existing tunnel that will be re-used for Crossrail.