Live updates

Olympic flame re-lit from "mother flame"

Crowds take pictures of David Follett having his flame re-lit after the it went out due to a malfunctioning burner. Credit: Giddens/LOCOG/PA Wire

The Olympic torch went out for the first time today during the London 2012 relay, organisers confirmed.

The torch was attached to the side of para-badminton star David Follett's wheelchair in Great Torrington, Devon when the "malfunction" occurred.

'Malfunctioning burner' causes Olympic flame to blow out

A 'malfunctioning burner' has been blamed for the Olympic flame being extinguished during the third day of the Olympic torch relay.

It was attached to the side of para-badminton star David Follett's wheelchair in Great Torrington, Devon, when the flame blew out shortly before 10am.

A spokeswoman for LOCOG said: "It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds."

A replacement torch was brought out from the convoy of vehicles and was lit from the mother flame.

"We keep the mother flame in specially designed miners' lanterns so, if the flame does go out for some reason on the relay, we relight it from the source of the flame," the spokeswoman added.

Advertisement