A 16 year old boy has died after apparently taking ecstasy at an illegal rave in Hayes at the weekend.
Daniel Spargo-Mabbs, a pupil at Archbishop Tenison's Church of England High School in Croydon, was found unconscious at the industrial site in the early hours of Saturday. He died later in hospital. Two men from Croydon have been arrested in connection with student's death.
Police were called on Saturday, 18 January, at approximately 04.00hrs by London Ambulance Service to reports of an unconscious male at an illegal rave at an industrial site at Pump Lane, Silverdale Road, Hayes.
The 16-year-old boy was taken by ambulance to a west London hospital believed to be suffering from the effects of a drugs overdose. He was later transferred to a central London hospital where he died on Monday, 20 January.
Two men, 18 and 19 years, both from the Croydon area were arrested for supplying controlled drugs. They are currently in custody.
The Met Police has confirmed two people have been arrested following the death of a schoolboy at an illegal rave. It's reported he had taken ecstasy.
A teenager from South London has died after reportedly taking ecstasy at an illegal rave. The Evening Standard reports that 16-year-old Daniel Spargo-Mabbs died after going to the event on an industrial site.
Sixth form classes at Archbishop Tenison’s Church of England High School in Croydon have been cancelled, and headmaster Richard Parrish released this statement:
Sometimes you hope that the worst thing won’t happen. Sometimes it does happen anyway. And yesterday it did.
We began Monday knowing that Daniel Spargo-Mabbs, one of our Year 12 students, who has been with us in the school since Year 7, was in a critical condition on a life support machine. At lunchtime he died.
Today is too soon to do anything more than react to the brutal fact that we have lost Daniel. Our students and pupils will be supported in whatever way possible, with a room set aside with our Assistant Chaplain for those who need space to grieve away from the classroom.
As police approached the detached house, they noticed a man placing large bags inside a wheelie bin. He then ran off into Crystal Palace Park.
Sergeant Rob Goodwin from Bromley Police said: “This seizure represents a major and unexpected dent in the network of cannabis supply in the South East London area and was brought about through proactive local neighbourhood policing”.
Met Police have uncovered a huge drug factory in south London after driving past a house and noticing a strong smell of cannabis. When they went inside the property near Crystal Palace Park, this is what they found.
Four large rooms were set up to grow cannabis, with in excess of 500 fully grown plants inside.
The signs to spot cannabis farming include:
- Strong and sickly sweet smell
- Large amounts of growing equipment
- Constant covered or blocked off windows
- Visitors at unsociable hours
- Strong and constant lighting day and night
- High levels of heat and condensation
- Constant buzz of ventilation
- Lots of cables
Source: London Fire Brigade
Cannabis factory fires can be severe due the way criminals use unsafe wiring to illegally obtain electricity in order to grow the plants.
They're often in top floors or lofts which means when a fire takes hold it spreads, destroying roofs and damaging neighbouring buildings.
Firefighters can also be exposed to risks when dealing with the fires due to dodgy wiring and booby traps at some of the properties.
It's important that people know the key signs and inform the police so that they can act swiftly to prevent these dangerous fires.
London has seen a jump in the number of house fires because of the sharp increase in the homegrown cannabis industry.
London Fire Brigade says cannabis-related fires have more than doubled in the last two years.
Last year there was one fire a fortnight in a building being used to cultivate cannabis. That's more than double the number of blazes seen in 2010/11.
The figures also show that 25 of the 27 fires last year were in residential properties posing a significant risk to homes next door.