Live updates


Phillips Idowu 'forced' leave house in a hurry

Appearing today at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court Idowu was also ordered to complete community service. His solicitor, Joe Life, told the court he had been out with friends the previous night and returned home to bed.

He just got in the car because circumstances forced him to leave the house in a hurry and he was driving a short distance.

He planned to stay at a hotel which was under a mile away to get away from the circumstances which had unfolded at the house.

– Joe Life, Solicitor

Idowu was banned from driving for 24 months and must pay a fine of £145 and £85 costs.


Former Olympic triple jumper banned for drink-driving

Former Olympic triple jumper Phillips Idowu has been banned from driving after magistrates in Essex heard that an "emergency" forced him to drive while drunk. The 34-year-old, from Epping, pleaded guilty to driving his Land Rover while two and a half times the legal alcohol limit.

Phillips Idowu seen in the men's triple jump event at the Olympic stadium in 2012 Credit: Press Association

Olympic triple jumper in court on drink-drive charge

Former triple jump world champion, Phillips Idowu, is due to appear in court in Essex today on a drink-driving charge. Idowu is accused of driving through Epping in Essex on September 20 while being over the drink-drive limit. He is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court.

Olympic triple jumper, Phillips Idowu Credit: Press Association

Phillips Idowu is accused of driving while over the limit by having 96 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. He won a silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and World Championship gold in Berlin the following year.

Beans cause motorway chaos

Traffic on the M11 was brought to a halt this afternoon, after a lorry full of beans shed its load on the motorway.

The driver had been trying to avoid a car that had crashed, when the lorry jack-knifed, leaving tins of baked beans scattered across all three lanes.

The southbound carriageway had to be closed, while the Highways Agency cleared the road.

The accident happened between junctions six and seven near Epping just before 3pm and the motorway was fully reopened by 6pm. The lorry driver was not hurt.