Non-league and grassroots football clubs are being invited to bid for life-saving defibrillators, a year after Fabrice Muamba collapsed after a cardiac arrest on the pitch at White Hart Lane.
The Football Association and the British Heart Foundation have teamed up and spent £1.2 million.
The money's been raised by donations, the FA and football clubs, to allow smaller clubs access to the potentially life-saving equipment. To find out more, or to bid for a defibrillator, click here for more information
BHF medical director Professor Peter Weissberg said: "This is a chance to equip many of our football clubs with the life-saving skills and equipment which will improve this country's very poor cardiac arrest survival rates"
The UK Resuscitation Council state that a defibrillator can be used safely and effectively without previous training and that its use should not be restricted to trained rescuers.
One year after Fabrice Muamba's near-fatal cardiac arrest, a £1.2 million defibrillator fund has been launched.Read the full story ›
Fabrice Muamba has posted his first Twitter update, since collapsing on the pitch at White Hart Lane last month as he suffered a cardiac arrest.
The 24-year-old Bolton midfielder thanked fans for their prayers, love and support.
He has stunned medical professionals with his recovery.
Fabrice Muamba has been discharged from hospital, almost a month to the day after he suffered a cardiac arrest during a game.Read the full story ›
I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at The London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care. Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support. Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family."
Bolton Wanderers footballer Fabrice Muamba was today discharged from hospital, almost a month to the day after he suffered a cardiac arrest during a game.
Midfielder Muamba collapsed on the pitch in the first half of Bolton's FA Cup quarter-final at Tottenham Hotspur on March 17, with the game subsequently being abandoned.
The former England Under-21 international received treatment on the field before being taken to the London Chest Hospital. It later emerged that it took 78 minutes for his heart to start working unassisted.
He was discharged from hospital today and paid tribute to staff who cared for him.
Barts Health can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has now been discharged following several weeks of treatment. All our staff wish him the very best in his ongoing recovery.
Bolton Wanderers footballer Fabrice Muamba, who suffered a cardiac arrest during a game, was today discharged from hospital, Barts Health NHS Trust said.
The fiancee of Fabrice Muamba has released a photograph of the Bolton midfielder in his hospital bed, as he recovers in hospital.Read the full story ›