A quarter of tickets for the New Year's Eve fireworks display went to Londoners last year, figures released by the Mayor of London show.
Labour London Assembly Member Fiona Twycross said they showed the new ticketing system had led to "Londoners missing out on the iconic NYE celebrations."
She has called for half of tickets to be reserved for Londoners this year.
Caught on CCTV - the terrifying moment a crowd of yobs use a firework rocket to attack a police patrol car.Read the full story ›
A spokesperson for the Mayor of London said:
“To help us stamp out touting and second selling we’d urge everyone to only purchase through the official site.
There are tens of thousands of tickets still available so there is absolutely no need to pay more. If you get a ticket and change your mind we have an easy refund policy with full refunds available up to 28 days before the event. All returned tickets will be re-sold.”
Although City Hall are selling tickets to the annual New Year's Eve fireworks display for £10, resale online ticket websites are advertising them for sale for massively inflated prices.
One website, seatwave.com has 4 tickets for sale for £500 each. With a booking fee of £359.96 - their total asking price comes to £2,359.96.
While Viagogo are asking a relatively mild £102.27 per ticket.
The British Transport Police Divisional Commander for London, South and East England has said that police officers were assaulted at last night's New Year's Eve celebrations. Chief Superintendent Paul Brogden wrote on Twitter:
A mammoth clean-up operation took place after millions of people across the UK celebrated the start of 2014 with fireworks, and drinking.Read the full story ›
A mammoth clean-up operation has begun after millions of people across the UK celebrated the start of 2014 with fireworks, music and late-night drinking.
The festivities created an estimated 85 tonnes of waste, including up to 15,000 champagne bottles, in central London.
Westminster Council deployed 52 vehicles and 119 members of staff through the night to ensure the streets were cleared for the capital's New Year's Day parade at midday.
Tens of thousands of people came into central London to see in the New Year.
Viewing areas filled up quicker than in previous years, according to the Metropolitan Police with thousands of people arriving early to take in the spectacular firework display which has become a focal point for many to mark the New Years Eve celebrations.
Around 3,800 police officers were reported to have worked to support the event organisers and stewards, along with colleagues from British Transport Police and other emergency services.
As of 4:30am on January 1, there were a total of 100 arrests made by officers working on the policing operation for New Year's Eve.
London's New Year's Eve revellers will be showered with edible confetti and scented bubbles.
Billed as the world's first multi-sensory fireworks display, tonight's event is expected to attract hundreds of thousands of people to the banks of the Thames.
Simon Harris reports on the preparations ahead of the festivities.
After last year's Olympic themed display, spectators of this year's New Year fireworks will get more than they bargained for. Those in close enough proximity will be part of a multi-sensory experience, according to organisers.
You'll be able to hear, smell and even taste parts of the display. There will be fruit flavours and smells combined with the pyrotechnics and fireworks. There will also be a London New Year's Eve fireworks app which will only be available for 24 hours.