Insiders believe the drive to keep seat prices low means airlines want baggage contracts to be kept at the lowest cost possible.
The M25 is set to become Britain's first 14-lane motorway if a third runway is built at Heathrow Airport.
The owners of Gatwick Airport vowed today to start building a controversial second runway by 2020.
Gatwick Airport has said it is not anticipating any baggage issues this weekend.
The airport said it had "robust contingency plans" in place, with 60 extra staff on standby to support baggage handlers Swissport.
(1/4) Gatwick is operating well and passengers booked to fly through Gatwick this weekend are advised to do so as planned.
(2/4) Departing flights aren't affected as reports have inaccurately suggested. We reassure passengers that bags will be loaded on aircraft.
(3/4) We're not expecting baggage delivery issues this weekend, but robust contingency plans in place & 60 extra staff to support Swissport.
(4/4) Bags are delivered on time for 95% of flights & we continue to work with our airlines & their handling agents to meet high standards.
Airline Thomas Cook has said it is working to ensure its customers do not experience baggage delays at Gatwick Airport.
A spokesperson for Thomas Cook told ITV News that the company was disappointed that recent baggage issues - which led to delays of up to four hours last weekend - had affected "too many passengers".
Gatwick is drafting in its own staff to help with baggage handling following issues with baggage handling firm Swissport.
ITV News Consumer Editor Chris Choi reports:
"We are working to ensure our customers do not experience baggage delays at Gatwick" Thomas Cook
“At Gatwick, we want to provide a great experience and we are disappointed that recent baggage issues have affected too many passengers."
Baggage handling company Swissport has denied claims zero-hours contracts were to blame for the disruption at Gatwick Airport last weekend.
Staff shortages at the company forced hundreds of passengers to go home without their luggage and left others waiting for up to five hours to reclaim their bags at the airport on July 27.
The firm told ITV News' Chris Choi the "suggestion that issues may have been caused by zero hour contracts is untrue".
Despite warnings that passengers could face yet more problems this weekend, Swissport said all services this morning were meeting targets.
"Baggage services to client airlines to 7am this morning was good and within its targets. There were no appreciable delays," the company said.
Willie Walsh, chief executive of British Airways parent company IAG, has told ITV News he is prepared to look at other options if baggage handlers Swissport fail to resolve their issues at Gatwick Airport.
"I think they (Swissport) have some issues at Gatwick that they need to address, and if they don't address them to our satisfaction then we have options," he told ITV News' Chris Choi.
"At this stage we are working with them. We are satisfied they are putting the right measures in place and I'm confident they will resolve them
"If they don't we will certainly look at other opportunities."
Gatwick Airport is to use its own staff to help with baggage handling in a bid to prevent another weekend of disruption.
Staff shortages at baggage handlers Swissport caused chaotic scenes at the west Sussex airport last weekend, as passengers faced long delays to reclaim their bags.
Gatwick criticised the the company for "failing to meet standards".
Swissport has drafted in 40 extra staff following last week's problems amid criticism for reportedly using staff on zero-hours contracts.
Gatwick Airport is getting ready for its busiest day of the year. Around 77,000 holiday makers are expected to pass through the departure gates tomorrow with Spain and Portugal some of the most popular destinations.
This weekend will also see around 290,000 passengers depart the airport and around 508,000 passengers in total that week, making it Gatwick's busiest week of the year.
A lightning strike in the early hours of the morning has caused delays for hundreds of passengers at Gatwick Airport. The strike resulted in a power dip in the local area which caused electrical trips to the airport's systems.
It impacted on check-in and baggage, with some passengers forced to wait two hours for their bags.
– A Gatwick spokeswoman
"We recovered all systems quickly but due to the volume of passengers this morning we have been focusing on clearing the backlog of bags as quickly as possible to get passengers away on their flights."
By 7.45am, out of 75 flights, there were two delays over an hour and 12 delays over 20 minutes.
The longest delay was one hour 39 minutes. All issues have been resolved and the airport is now operating as normal.
Gatwick have released a new advert in response to Heathrow Airport's plan to increase the M25 to 14 lanes if their expansion plans are approved.
Both airports released their final submissions to the Government's Airports Commission today.