Live updates

Local councillor: Takeway does not deserve to be in business

“A business that treats its customers with such a level of contempt really does not deserve to be in business.

“It’s shocking. There really is no other word for it. To think that rats were running around in the kitchen is really sickening.”

– Cllr Clyde Loakes, Waltham Forest Council deputy leader and cabinet member for environment

Advertisement

Mouldy food and rat droppings: The “shocking and sickening” conditions at a Leyton takeaway

Hygiene inspectors uncovered “shocking and sickening” conditions at a Leyton takeaway last week, including rat droppings in food containers.

New Curry Queen in Leyton High Road. Credit: .

New Curry Queen at 466 High Road, an Indian takeaway which also offers fried chicken, kebabs and pizzas, was described as “filthy, with poor standards of hygiene” and shut down.

Rat droppings underneath equipment, on floors and in food containers were discovered, as well as mouldy food in fridges.

Rat droppings found in the takeaway restaurant. Credit: .

The restaurant was forced to close and on March 3 after the council obtained a hygiene emergency prohibition order from Stratford Magistrates’ Court.

Filthy conditions uncovered by council inspectors. Credit: .

The restaurant was forced to close and on March 3 after the council obtained a hygiene emergency prohibition order from Stratford Magistrates’ Court.

Yesterday afternoon building work was seen to be taking place in the restaurant, which was closed.

Staff could not be contacted for comment.

Advertisement

Duggan inquest hears from intelligence officer

Police promise "rigorous" investigation over model death

Linah Keza was stabbed to death at her home in Leyton Credit: Facebook

The police watchdog has pledged to hold a "thorough and rigorous" investigation into officers' contact with a model who was murdered at her home in Leyton. Linah Keza, 29, was stabbed to death at her home in King Edward Road, on July 31 while she was with her young daughter.

Her former partner, David Gikawa, 38, is accused of her murder and is due to stand trial at the Old Bailey in January. After Miss Keza's death it emerged that she was in touch with police on three separate occasions in the days before she died.

Today, the Independent Police Complaints Commission said it is looking at police contact with Linah and her former partner between July 23 and 31, and whether information dating back to 2010 was available to officers.

IPCC Commissioner Jennifer Izekor said: "Our investigation will seek to identify the level of contact and information known to Metropolitan Police officers before Linah's tragic death.

"I would like to assure Ms Keza's family that our investigation will be thorough and rigorous in determining the circumstances surrounding police contact with their loved one before her death."

Man remanded in custody over model's murder

The former partner of a beauty queen who was stabbed to death in front of her daughter appeared at the Old Bailey today accused of her murder.

David Gikawa, 38, is said to have attacked 29 year-old model Linah Keza at her home in Leyton, east London, last week.

Linah Keza died after being stabbed in the chest. Credit: Facebook

Ms Keza, a former Miss Africa contestant, was found with stab wounds to her chest at the address in King Edward Road in the early hours of July 31.

Gikawa was charged with murder and appeared in court by video link from Belmarsh Prison.

No bail application was made and Judge Richard Marks QC remanded him in custody until another hearing on October 22.

Load more updates