Live updates

School ceiling collapses in Chelsea

Part of a school's ceiling has collapsed in Chelsea. The school on Manresa Road is thought to be the private GEMS Hampshire School. No one was trapped by the debris. London Fire Brigade and London Ambulance Service attended the scene.

Advertisement

  1. Ruth Zorko

Five others in hospital after flats were evacuated over chemical fumes

A man's died after a suspected electric shock at a block of flats in south-east London, which was evacuated because of chemical fumes.

Police say he was injured while plumbing work was being carried out at the property in Boulter Housein New Cross last night.

It's not clear exactly what happened, but the Fire Brigade says that the source of the chemical smell was a drain-cleaning product that had been used in a fourth-floor flat.

Credit: ITV News

Another man, who is also thought to have suffered an electric shock and who was affected by the fumes, is being treated in hospital.

A woman and three children are also being treated for the affects of the fumes.

A next door neighbour had sounded the alarm after he heard the children screaming.

Other neighbours said that they had noticed a strong chemical smell - almost metallic in nature.

All 20 flats in the building were evacuated while the Fire Brigade investigated and residents took shelter in a double-decker bus which had been flagged down by police. Some were not allowed back into their properties until around 4:30am - more than six hours after they'd been forced to leave.

Police are not treating it as suspicious.

Firefighters believe the man may have suffered an electric shock

A man has died at a block of flats in New Cross which was evacuated due to the smell of chemical fumes.

London Fire Brigade believe he may have suffered from an electric shock and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fire crews were called to the block on Kender Street shortly before 10pm last night.

A woman and three children, from the flat where the man died, were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of fumes and another man is also believed to have suffered a possible electric shock.

Firefighters say the chemical smell probably came from drain cleaning products being used by a flat on the fourth floor.

Around 100 people were evacuated from the block as a precaution.

Advertisement

Pensioners die in New Year house fire

A man in his 60s and a woman in her have died in a New Year's Eve house fire in Deptford despite neighbours' attempts to rescue them. The bodies were found by firefighters who were called to the blaze in Ashmead Road at around 9.43pm. Two members of the public had tried to enter the house, which was entirely engulfed in flames.

Neighbours alerted the brigade when they saw smoke coming from the house.Two members of the public entered the house in an attempt to rescue the occupants but were unable to reach them. These two people were treated at the scene by London Ambulance Service

– Lee Sparks, London Fire Brigade

The Metropolitan Police is investigating the cause of the fire and a spokesman said officers believed they knew the identities of the dead, but were awaiting formal identification and confirmation that next of kin had been informed.

London Fire Brigade warning over heaters

A London Fire Brigade engine Credit: PA

London Fire Brigade are warning people to be extra vigilant against fires breaking out as cold weather hits and firefighters take part in fresh strike action.

London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: "As it gets colder, the temptation is to huddle closer to your heater but that could be a fatal mistake. Shockingly, over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close. People need to make sure their portable heaters are standing upright and kept well away from clothes, curtains or furniture.

"Portable heaters should never be used to dry clothes or placed too close to bedding. This is even more important with the Fire Brigades Union set to strike."

Members of the Fire Brigades Union in England will walk out for twenty four hours from 9am on Monday December 8, in response to a long running dispute over pensions.

Crews remain on site after house fire

Emergency crews at the scene of the blaze in Marylebone Credit: @iamcreatality

Fire crews spent more than four hours this morning working to bring a large fire at a terraced house in central London under control.

Station Manager Jim Morford who was at the scene said: "When they arrived firefighters were confronted with a large fire in a terraced town house and they worked hard through the night to stop it from spreading to neighbouring properties. Nine people were led to safety and the buildings on either side of the affected house were evacuated as a precaution."

London Fire Brigade was called at 1.27am and the fire was under control by 5.55am. Crews from Soho, Lambeth, Euston, Paddington, North Kensington, Kensington, West Hampstead, Kentish Town and Clapham fire stations attended the incident.

The brigade is likely to remain at the scene this morning damping down the fire and carrying out salvage work. The cause is not yet known and an investigation will be carried out.

Ladders used to tackle flames from above

Smoke from the fire rose high over London Credit: @iamcreatality

Nine people had to be evacuated from a house in central London, after a fire took hold in several floors of a five-storey building.

Ten fire engines and more than 70 firefighters and officers went to the blaze in a terraced house on Wimpole Street in Marylebone, W1, during the early hours of this morning. Two turntable ladders were also used to help fight the flames from above.

The fire affected the second, third, fourth and fifth floors of the five storey building, as well as its roof. Of those helped to safety, three people were assessed by London Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.

Load more updates