Riot hit shop gives positive message

A furniture store in Croydon which was damaged in last year's riots has been covered in images of young people holding positive statements

Police officers wearing riot gear stand in front of a burning building in Tottenham, north London August 7, 2011.

Police 'expect' more riots

Police say they fear a repeat of last summer's riots - but that they won't have enough resources to cope with it - according to a new study.

Live updates

National

Foreigners involved in 2011 riots face deportation

Just one in 13 foreigners who took part in the riots of 2011 have been deported, it emerged today.

More than 200 foreign criminals were convicted for their part in the riots, which saw shops looted, businesses burnt to the ground and hundreds of millions of pounds of damage done.

A building on fire in London during riots in August 2011.
A building on fire in London during riots in August 2011. Credit: ITV News

Of the 201 cases passed to the UK Border Agency (UKBA), only 15 have been kicked out the country, showed figures released to the Daily Mail following a Freedom of Information request.

Immigration Minister Mark Harper said: "Any foreign national who abuses the privilege of coming to the UK by committing a serious offence should face the consequences.

"Many of those convicted of involvement in last summer's riots are still behind bars - that's where they belong. We are pursuing deportation in scores of cases and wherever possible, when they have paid their debt to society, we will remove them from the UK."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Report: Riot recovery held back by Government

Police officers stand in front of a burning building in Tottenham, August 7, 2011 Credit: Reuters/Stefan Wermuth

A new report from the London Assembly says more should have been done to speed up compensation payments for businesses hit by last years riots.

The report, Picking up the Pieces, argues that poor coordination and the Government's lack of urgency held back the recovery process.

Riot attacker's appeal thrown out

A teenager who attacked a Malaysian student during last summer's riots has had his appeal thrown out of court.

Ashraf Rossli, 20, had his jaw was broken in two places when he was punched by Beau Isagba, 18.

As Ashraf stood bleeding in the street, more criminals stole from his rucksack.

Three Court of Appeal judges rejected the argument that a seven-year jail sentence for Isagba was too long.

Bogus Met Police blog conman jailed

A fantasist who blogged about his experiences as a police officer during last summer's London riots has been jailed for five years.

Ellis Ward, 29, gained a massive following with his postings about life as a Met police inspector on the streets of London.

He musings on Twitter were followed up by several national newspapers, including the Daily Telegraph which paid him £600 for a column called On the frontline.

But Ward's charade as a police officer was not just restricted to the internet. He also posed as an Army major who had been injured in Iraq.

With an impressive array of uniforms and identity cards, the serial conman used his aliases to dupe three unsuspecting women out of thousands of pounds.

At Winchester Crown Court, Ward from Gloucestershire, was jailed for five years after admitting 18 charges of fraud.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories