Tube drivers on London Underground are to be balloted for strikes in a row over pay for new all-night services.
The union said it has been told that unless drivers agree to rosters which include all-night services on Friday and Saturday nights when they are introduced in September, they will be imposed and no pay offer will be made this year.
LUL has closed down the negotiations and written to us to say that they intend to go ahead and implement new rosters, with unlimited weekend and night shifts, without agreement. The only discussion they have offered are workshops’ on the fine details of their plan.
Our members are entitled to a family life and to some sort of work/life balance. We aren’t opposed to all night services but we want them introduced in a fair and sensible way which rewards staff for their hard work and the contribution they make to the success of the London Underground.
Sadly, because the company refuses to negotiate seriously, we are left with no other choice than to ballot our members on industrial action.
Around 80% of all London Underground drivers are members of Aslef.
Dressed in a hat and dark glasses, the singer and former X Factor judge seemed to travel around the Tube network completely unnoticed.Read the full story ›
The creature was spotted in Hampstead Heath, the London Underground and the South Bank.Read the full story ›
Officers have released new CCTV pictures of a man they are still trying to trace when a woman’s face was slashed on a Piccadilly Line escalator in Holborn station.
The 34-year-old woman was attacked at 10:45pm on 19 November.
She suffered a deep cut to the bridge of her nose and needed surgery to repair the damage.
Officers believe that the man travelled on the Central line, back and forward, stopping at different stations all the way out to Epping before the attack.
This was a horrible, unprovoked attack towards our Customer Service Assistant who was just doing his job. Our staff should be allowed to carry out their daily work duties without fear of attack from the public. Thanks to the work and efforts of the British Transport Police this offender has been arrested and we will continue to work with our policing partners to identify offenders and push for the toughest penalties for anyone who abuses our staff.
A Tube worker has been stabbed in the face at a Lancaster Gate Underground station.
The victim, a man in his 30s, was in the booking hall of the station when he was attacked at around 10.40am this morning.
The 40-year-old suspect was arrested at the scene.
Paramedics have taken the victim to hospital but his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
The Central Line station was closed while officers gathered evidence but has since reopened.
Our officers were called to the booking hall at Lancaster Gate London Underground station at 10.40am on Friday, 23 January. A member of station staff had been stabbed in the face.
Colleagues from the Metropolitan Police Service and London Ambulance Service also attended, and the station was closed. A 40-year-old man was arrested at the station, and the member of staff has been taken to hospital.
Thousands of commuters using one of the busiest tube stations in the West End will have to plan a new route to work next week. Central Line trains will no longer call at Tottenham Court Road after Underground services end tonight.
The platforms are being closed for a year to allow the station to be rebuilt before Crossrail opens in 2018. Tottenham Court Road is will become a major interchange between Crossrail and the Central and Northern Lines.
To complete vital work at the station, Central line trains will not be stopping between 3 January 2015 and early December 2015 and I apologise for the inconvenience this will cause. While we try to carry out as much of our improvement works when the Tube is closed, in this case we need a pre-planned closure of the central line platforms due to the vast scale of the station’s transformation.?
Northern Line trains will continue to call at Tottenham Court Road while the work is carried out.
Commuters are facing journey disruptions for almost a year when Central Line trains cease stopping at one of London's busiest stations. From Saturday, Central Line trains will not stop at Tottenham Court Road until December.
The work is intended to ensure the station in able to deal with the demands of more passengers when Crossrail arrives in 2018. Refurbishments will improve access to platforms, install eight new escalators & five new lifts and improve lighting and CCTV. Transport for London have said the station will be fully accessible by 2016 and the ticket hall will be five times larger than its current size.
The refurbishment is part of London Underground's £10bn programme of modernisation. TfL has advised passengers to change at Oxford Circus or Holborn for alternative routes. Northern Line trains will continue to stop at Tottenham Court Road.