View from the balcony

Ice bucket challenge fail

Two men from south London faced an embarrassing rescue from their balcony after getting locked out doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Dean Mayley

Man admits 'panic' led to Mayley murder

A 17-year-old convicted of the murder of Dean Mayley has admitted that he 'panicked' after the 24-year-old refused to give him his phone.

Live updates

Invictus Games to feature a drumhead service

The inaugural Invictus Games for injured servicemen is to feature a drumhead service to remember those who have been killed or injured in conflict.

Prince Harry and Invictus Games athletes
Prince Harry poses for photographs during the announcement of the130-strong British team for the Invictus Games Credit: John Stillwell/PA Wire

The event will take place on September 11, the anniversary of the 2001 terror attacks in the United States, and also comes in the centenary of the start of the First World War, organisers said. The multi-faith service will take place at London's Lee Valley Athletics Centre, which hosts the track and field events that afternoon, and will be conducted by senior chaplains from the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force, with attendees representing 13 nations that have served alongside each other in recent conflicts and now face one another in the sporting arena.

A drumhead service at Edinburgh Castle
Drums are used in place of an altar to replicate services held on the front-line 100 years ago, during the drumhead service, to commemorate the centenary of the First World War at Edinburgh Castle. Credit: Danny Lawson/PA Wire

Drumhead services date back hundreds of years to when regimental drums were used to communicate orders on the battlefield. Soldiers would make a pile of drums to provide a makeshift altar, often draped with the standards or colours of the regiment, so a religious service could be held on the field of battle.

Invictus Games medals
The Invictus Games medals (top) and participant medallion (bottom, front and back) being unveiled at the Garrard jewellers in central London. Credit: Philip Toscano/PA Wire

The Invictus Games' service will start at 12.30pm on September 11 when the buglers of the band of Her Majesty's Royal Marines, HMS Collingwood will build the drumhead as the choir from the Royal Hospital School, Holbrook, Suffolk, lead the opening hymn.

"This is a timely opportunity for competitors and spectators alike to show their support and gratitude for all those who gave, and give, so much."

– Sir Keith Mills, chairman of the Invictus Games

Advertisement

Teen guilty of Dean Mayley murder

A 17-year-old boy has been convicted at the Old Bailey of murdering Dean Mayley, a 24-year-old man with the mental age of nine, in a knifepoint mugging.

Dean Mayley
Dean Mayley died on his way to visit his uncle in Greenford Credit: Family handout

Dean, who had learning difficulties, died from a single stab wound as he got off a bus on the way to visit his uncle in Greenford. His mother said she had only recently starting letting him travel alone.

His mother Donna sat through weeks of harrowing evidence at the Old Bailey and was visibly shocked and tearful after watching footage of the moment her son was fatally injured. The CCTV showed three shadowy hooded figures go up to Mr Mayley and confront him before one of them lashes out with a blade.

Man jailed for 'noxious fluid' attack at Vauxhall club

A man has been jailed after splashing a noxious fluid over six strangers in a "vile and violent" attack outside a nightclub. Jonathan Lynn, 29, emptied the contents of a plastic bottle over a group of young gay friends in Vauxhall, in London. He previously pleaded guilty at Inner London Crown Court to causing the three men actual bodily harm outside the Lightbox nightclub on June 8th and possessing an offensive weapon, namely a noxious fluid.

Some of the victims were left with ulcers in their eyes and mouths as well as "significant" pyschological problems, the court heard. Sentencing Lynn to two years and four months, Recorder David Etherington QC said: "I make this clear, this was a vile, violent, cowardly and disgraceful attack by you, but I do not find it was motivated by dislike or hate of people of homosexual orientation. "You wrecked a number of people's lives."

Police hunt one-eared man after Stoke Newington assault

Police are hunting a one-eared man in connection with a brutal assault. A man was reportedly slashed in the face in the early hours of Saturday in Stoke Newington. Met Police officers are hunting for 25-year-old Anthony Kenny, who is missing his left year, in connection with the attack.

Anthony Kenny
Anthony Kenny is wanted by police investigating an assault in Stoke Newington Credit: Metropolitan Police

The victim was left with several facial injuries, and is understood to have suffered damage to his ear. Kenny, of Islington, is described as white, and has 'Stand alone' tattooed on his neck and 'North London' inked on his left hand

Anthony Kenny
Police say Anthony Kenny should not be approached, and advise anyone who sees him to call 999 Credit: Metropolitan Police

Advertisement

London Underground: 'no compulsory redundancies'

A new phase of industrial action on the Tube begins next Wednesday, with RMT union members banning overtime in the ongoing row over ticket office closures.

"We have been in constant dialogue with trades unions and staff over our plans to modernise and improve customer service on the Tube, and we will continue with these discussions. As a result of our plans we have guaranteed that there will be no compulsory redundancies, anyone who wants to stay with us can have a job and no one will lose pay providing they are prepared to be flexible. Today, less than 3% of journeys involve a visit to a ticket office. This trend is set to continue with the introduction of contactless bank card payment from September 16 this year. In future we will have more staff visible and available to help our customers buy the right ticket, plan their journey and keep them safe and secure. The only way to resolve the issues raised is to continue talking and not threatening further industrial action."

– Phil Hufton, London Underground chief operating officer

Unexpected llama at Vauxhall Station

Farm animals have made a surprise appearance on the morning commute at Vauxhall, as TfL promote their new Victoria Line 'above ground' map

Meridian

Passenger describes moment plane makes emergency landing

A passenger has described the moment an easyJet plane carrying 157 passengers had to make an emergency landing - after smoke was detected in the cockpit.

plane
The plane was delayed after smells of smoke in the cabin Credit: Emily Scott

We were due to leave Liverpool at 6:40am to Naples. The flight left with no problems and all was well. Then came the an acrid smell of burning. At first it seemed like nothing to worry about but as the smell grew as did the concern of some of the passengers. The captain then announced that they were apologetic for the smell of smoke and that the plane was to make an emergency landing as a precaution. The oxygen was issued in the cockpit as that's where the smoke was coming from. The crew remained extremely calm and professional. Some of the passengers started to notice that there was a mist coming from the air condition which the captain reassured us was completely normal. The flight landed safely on the ground and we were greeted by the firemen who came aboard (to our delight). Currently there is another EasyJet flight awaiting for us to board and we have been offered a free drink and small snack as a form of apology. The flight landed into Gatwick just 40 minutes after taking off at Liverpool. I commend the crew and captain for handling the situation in such a calm manner. One passenger has decided she would not like to continue with the next flight.

– Emily Imogen Scott, passenger on flight
Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories