Met Police specialists sent to Ukraine

Experts from New Scotland Yard are traveling to Ukraine to help recover the bodies of the victims of the Malaysia Airlines plane crash.

Live updates

PC Carol Howard: I've been bullied and victimised

Speaking after being awarded £37,000 by an employment tribunal, black firearms officer Carol Howard said she had been "bullied and victimised" because of her race and gender.

The 35-year-old from the Diplomatic Protection Group brought a claim of discrimination earlier this year.
The 35-year-old from the Diplomatic Protection Group brought a claim of discrimination earlier this year. Credit: PA

The tribunal branded Scotland Yard "insulting and malicious" for its treatment of Ms Howard, and told the Met to review all internal complaints of discrimination made since 2009.

Ronke_phillips2_normal

Employment tribunal reccs Met review every internal complaint of discrimination made under its FAW scheme since 2009 @itvlondon

PC Howard awarded £37,000 in race discrimination case

Black firearms officer PC Carol Howard, who won the race bias case against the Met, has been awarded £37,000 by employment tribunal.

Ronke_phillips2_normal

Black firearms officer, PC Carol Howard who won race discrimination case against Met awarded £37,000 by employment tribunal @itvlondon

The 35-year-old from the Diplomatic Protection Group brought a claim of discrimination earlier this year. An employment tribunal found that the Met "directly discriminated" against her between 31 January and 29 October 2012.

Advertisement

Policing the Carnival: 11 stabbings yesterday

Police dealt with 11 stabbings yesterday
Police dealt with 11 stabbings yesterday Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Archive

In relation to policing the Carnival, the Metropolitan Police says there were 11 stabbings yesterday.

On Colville Terrace, a 29 year old man sustained a serious stab wound and is being treated in hospital while eight other individuals received knife wounds.

An 18 year old man received stab wounds in Southam Street and in a separate incident another man received a serious stab wound.

In total there were 252 arrests over Sunday and Monday.

"Although early indications are that reported crime is down at this year's Notting Hill Carnival, I am concerned by the number of stabbings over the weekend.

Stabbings are up on last year, and in some cases these are just centimetres from being a murder. Each will be thoroughly investigated and we will do everything possible to ensure those who brought trouble to Carnival are placed before the courts.

Our proactive operations in the days leading up to Carnival and the weekend itself were a great success and meant we were able to stop many crimes before they happened.

Two of my officers were injured during an arrest yesterday and this shows the risks they must take. I would like to thank all the officers and support staff for their hard work in the most difficult of weather conditions. Their commitment is a major factor in ensuring the Carnival is a safe and enjoyable event for the vast majority of those attending."

– Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, MPS Commissioner

Over a quarter of searches had 'no reasonable grounds for suspicion'

More than 250,000 of the one million searches conducted last year could have been illegal
More than 250,000 of the one million searches conducted last year could have been illegal Credit: John Stillwell/PA Wire

The Metropolitan Police Service, which employs more than 31,000 officers, has signed up to the Best Use of Stop and Search code of conduct previously announced by Home Secretary Theresa May, who has admitted the power was being misused.

The changes are being brought in after Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary found that 27% of stop and searches did not contain reasonable grounds for suspicion, meaning more than 250,000 of the one million searches conducted last year could have been illegal.

In addition, black and minority ethnic members of the public were up to six times more likely to be searched than white people.

Under the scheme, forces who sign up voluntarily will agree to more limits on blanket Section 60 stops, used on the anticipation of serious violence without suspicion a person is carrying weapons, while better records will be kept of each instance and published online.

The Met said it was introducing those two elements of the new plan from today and comes after Section 60 searches were used as a tactic in combating violent crime at this year's Notting Hill Carnival.

Elderly man dies following collision in Croydon

A 79-year-old man has died after being hit by a car on Selsdon Park Road Croydon. Police on a routine patrol came across the collision on Saturday morning, near the junction with Farnborough Avenue. The pedestrian was rushed to St George's Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after arrival. The driver of the Peugeot 307 was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and remains in custody.

Former police community support officer faces prison

A former police community support officer with the Metropolitan Police is facing a prison sentence after admitting he contacted the Sun to say a supermodel was attending a police station accused of assault.

Paul Randall - who is 49 years old - was told by a judge at the Old Bailey: "This reveals a serious breach of trust and a prison sentence is likely."

Randall, of south west London, admitted one count of misconduct in public office.

He will be sentenced on September 18.

Advertisement

Met police staff investigated for online posts

69 Metropolitan Police staff have been investigated for posts on social media in the past five years. A Freedom of Information request by the Press Association found that the Facebook and Twitter posts were deemed homophobic, racist or "religiously aggressive".

The Met had the third highest number of employees investigated across all forces who responded.

Met Police staff have been investigated for their conduct on social media
Credit: PA

CCTV images released of two men linked to robbery

Police have released CCTV images of two men wanted in connection with a robbery in Haringey which took place at around 11:10 on Monday July 28 in north London.

The two males stopped an elderly man, who had withdrawn a large sum of cash from a bank in Muswell Hill Broadway, as he met his son at their car on Princess Street.

After a struggle with the elderly man, his 47 year-old son was punched in the face before the two men made off with a carrier bag containing the victim's cash.

One man is described as a light skinned black male with freckles on his face in his early 20s and approximately 5ft 9 or 5ft 10ins tall.
One man is described as a light skinned black male with freckles on his face in his early 20s and approximately 5ft 9 or 5ft 10ins tall. Credit: Metropolitan Police
One man is described as a black male in his early twenties, around 6ft tall and of large build, clean shaven and wearing a grey jumper.
One man is described as a black male in his early twenties, around 6ft tall and of large build, clean shaven and wearing a grey jumper. Credit: Metropolitan Police

The two men were last seen running down Avenue Mews into Queen's Mews before disappearing from sight.

Anyone with any information should call 101.

Police try to trace stolen jewellery

A tray of rings similar to those stolen
A tray of rings similar to those stolen Credit: Metropolitan Police

Detectives investigating an armed robbery at a jewellery store in Whitechapel have released images of items similar to those stolen and a picture of the unique hallmark etched on the missing pieces. Police think the robbers may try to pawn the jewellery and are urging anyone who has been sold the items to get in touch.

A staff member was assaulted and others were threatened with knives in the raid, which happened in May this year. Four people riding on two mopeds struck at the UKAY store on Whitechapel Road.

Part of the hallmark on the missing jewellery
Part of the hallmark on the missing jewellery Credit: Metropolitan Police

Royal police investigated over mishandling weapons

New Scotland Yard.
Credit: PA

Four police officers from the Royalty Protection unit of the Metropolitan Police are being investigated over an allegation of weapons property being mishandled. One sergeant has been placed on restricted duties after an investigation was launched in June. None of the officers being investigated have been arrested or suspended. SO14 is the branch of the Met responsible for safeguarding members of the royal family and their residences including Buckingham Palace. Weapons disposal bins are located at all royal residences open to the public and visitors are checked on arrival. The bin in relation to this investigation was reportedly located at Buckingham Palace, although a Met spokesman said he could not confirm this. Small knives and scissors are among items which must be checked in on a visitor's arrival at the palace and can be reclaimed on departure, the Royal Collection Trust website states.

Officers from the Directorate or Professional Standards are investigating an allegation of mishandling of property from the weapons disposal bin by SO14 officers ... Four officers, three sergeants and one PC, are the subject of the Directorate of Professional Standards investigations.

– Metropolitan Police
Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories