Live updates

Video: St Paul's protest

A group of Occupy protesters have chained themselves to the pulpit of St Paul's Cathedral.

The four women, including one in a wheelchair, padlocked themselves to the pulpit during this afternoon's evensong service.

Outside more protesters, from Christianity Uncut, unfurled banners urging St Pauls to join their campaign against inequality.Louise Hulland sent this report.

Occupy London statement

Occupy London has released the following statement on their St Paul's protest:

"On the eve of the anniversary of the beginninng of the Occupy London Stock Exchange camp by St Paul's Cathedral, supporters of Occupy London, in collaboration with Christianity Uncut, today staged a dramatic intervention to highlight their call for the leadership of St Paul'sCathedral to stop sitting on the fence and join the fight against rising inequality in the UK and beyond.

"While Christianity Uncut unfurled a 5m x 10m banner outside the Cathedral urging the leadership of St Paul's to "Throw out the money changers from the temple", four Occupy activists staged a mic check during Evensong. They are now locked on to the Cathedral pulpit not planning to leave."


Video: Paternoster Square protest

Although five people were arrested on suspicion of public order offences, most of the demonstrators left Paternoster Square quickly and peacefully last night.

A group of anti-capitalist protesters had set up a temporary camp outside the London Stock Exchange - more than six months after Occupy London was prevented from taking over the square.

A spokesman for the campaign group said: "This was something we had wanted to do on October 15 and we have finally done it.

"This is a force that will not be stopped."


23 arrests made during "largely peaceful" evictions

City of London police, who were supported by the Met, said 23 arrests were made during the "largely peaceful" eviction as bailiffs from City of London Corporation removed tents and equipment from outside St Paul's last night.

The action was taken five days after Occupy London was refused permission by the Court of Appeal to challenge orders evicting protesters.

Stuart Fraser, policy chairman of the City of London Corporation, said: "It is regrettable that it had to come to the need for removal but the High Court judgment speaks for itself. The site has now been cleared and the area is undergoing a deep clean."

Load more updates