Passengers complain about overcrowding and dirty trains in the south east as Which? revealed they are the least satisfied in Britain.Read the full story ›
RNLI lifeboat crews in the capital have saved 420 lives since they began operating on the River Thames.
Its national fundraising campaign 'Mayday' kick's off in the capital today with fundraisers collecting at stations throughout the capital.
Police moved to reassure commuters today after revealing a huge increase in sexual assaults on our transport network. Total crime on trains and tubes in London and the South East has remained reasonably stable - more than 40 thousand offences is slightly down on last year. But there's been a sharp increase in sex crimes reported - on the tube and DLR up 31% to 428. On trains its a similar picture - sexual offences are up 30% to 417.
Police say it's because victims feel more comfortable coming forward. So should we feel safe on public transport?
See more of what Ellie did to reclaim the tube, following the assault. WARNING: her YouTube video at this link contains sexually explicit language.
New figures from British Transport Police have revealed a rise in the number of people being sexually assaulted on trains and tubes.
Nationwide, the number of sexual offences recorded in 2013/4 was 1,117, a 20.8% increase on the previous year.
On the London Underground and DLR, while total crime was the same as last year, sex crimes were up 31.2% and violence against passengers up 9.5% Drugs offences were up 54.5%
On the south east rail network, total crime was down 3%, and violent crime was down 5%, but sex offences were up 30% and those involving drugs jumped 57%.
The force says an increased awareness of the need to report sexual assaults is partly behind the rise.
"Part of this increase can be attributed to the high-profile prosecutions of celebrities for historical offences which have, undoubtedly, given victims more confidence to come forward."
But unions reacted angrily, with Mick Cash, acting general secretary of the RMT saying: "The 10% increase in violence on LU and the DLR should also serve as a wake-up call to London Mayor Boris Johnson who is ploughing ahead with his own plans to remove station and platform staff and close ticket offices. The cuts to jobs and services have to be reversed if we are to stop our transport services from descending deeper into the kinds of criminals' paradise that is exposed in these horrific new statistics."
Rail operator, Greater Anglia, has apologised to customers after severe disruptions both last night and this morning.Read the full story ›
Local authorities and businesses in the Capital affected by the first phase of the HS2 high speed rail project must submit their petitions to parliament today.
Petitions on phase one of the proposals from London to the West Midlands are due to be put before a parliamentary committee of six MPs to consider.
Individuals and other petitioners have until May 23 to submit their petitions.
Developers behind the renovation of London Bridge station claim the extensive work will result in a "bigger and brighter station" which will transform north-south travel through London.
The work, due to be completed in 2018, will enable trains to run with "Tube-like frequency" every two to three minutes, Network Rail claims.
Passengers will be able to travel more efficiently and make easier connections to other rail services as a result of the improved facilities.
When complete, the station will be longer than the Shard is tall while the entire length of the platforms will be covered by undulating canopies of steel and aluminum.
Dave Ward, Network Rail route managing director, said: “This huge investment in rebuilding London Bridge station will transform rail travel in London for millions of people across London and the south east.
"By 2018, London Bridge will be the most modern station in Britain with more space, better connections and great facilities."
The first phase of the extensive redevelopment of London Bridge railway station is on course to finish next week but passengers have been warned to expect further disruption as renovations continue.
Two new platforms will be brought into use on March 31 before another two are closed for the next stage of the process.
The station is being redeveloped as part of the Government-sponsored £6.5 billion Thameslink Programme which developers claim will remove bottlenecks to enable a more efficient service and to reduce the pressure on the Underground.
The continued overhaul of the station, which began in May 2013, will result in disruption to passengers in late March, August and December.
The chief executive of Network Rail, Mark Carne, has made an "unreserved apology to those who have been let down" by the authority's failings in managing the risks of level crossings.
Speaking on Daybreak, Mr Carne also apologised for the behaviour of Network Rail in dealing with the bereaved.
In response, Chris Bazlinton - father of Olivia Bazlinton, who died at a level crossing in 2005 - said he was "encouraged" by the comments and would be holding Network Rail to account.
Mr Bazlinton added: "I think the future is bright. I think this report will lead to much safer railways."
A report on level crossing safety has said Network Rail admitted its behaviour towards bereaved families "has been appalling".Read the full story ›