Live updates

Victim bursts into tears after attacker is told she will face jail

Judge, David Radford warned Mary Konye that she will face jail when he sentences her on March 7:

I should make clear that, in my judgment, this is a case that will, in all likelihood, need a substantial custodial sentence. It is inevitable, but it won't be dealt with until I have received those reports.

Victim, Naomi Oni burst into tears as she left the courtroom and was hugged by family and friends.

Advertisement

Konye 'calm and stony-faced' on guilty acid verdict

Mary Konye remained calm and stony-faced as the guilty verdict was announced to a packed court room. Naomi Oni's mother jumped from her set and appeared jubilant at the verdict.

Judge, David Radford adjourned sentence until March 7 while psychological reports are prepared and said:

In ordering these reports my judgement is that in all likelihood the case well lead to a substantial custodial sentence.'But it will not be decided until I have had these reports - I do not want Konye to misunderstand the reasons.

Woman guilty of throwing acid in the face of a friend

A young woman has been found guilty of throwing acid in the face of a friend while disguised in a Muslim veil. 21-year-old Mary Konye attacked Naomi Oni, an assistant at a Victoria's Secret lingerie shop, in December because she once called her ugly.

Mary Konye and Naomi Oni Credit: Metropolitan Police

During her trial, the jury at London's Snaresbrook Crown Court heard that, following the attack, Konye pretended to give Ms Oni a shoulder to cry on.

Police appeal to public in search for missing man

Missing: Cornelius Sullivan Credit: Metropolitan Police

Police in Havering have appealed for the public's help in finding a missing man.

Cornelius Sullivan, 49, was last seen on Monday 9 December in the Romford area in Havering.

He is described as white, of slim build and approximately 5ft 10ins tall. He has short greying hair and speaks with an Irish accent.

Anyone who has seen Cornelius or knows of his whereabouts, please contact Romford police via 101. Alternatively contact Missing People on 116 000.

Midwife caution for leaving baby face down in cupboard

A midwife who left a four-day-old baby face down in a stationery cupboard in a hospital in Essex has been given a three year caution. 35-year-old Yvonne Musonda-Malata was caring for the newborn girl at Queen's Hospital in Romford while her sick mother slept.

A tribunal heard she "failed to provide appropriate clinical care" to the baby while working on a night shift.

Queen's Hospital in Romford Credit: Press Association

Advertisement

Council decision over midwife punishment due tomorrow

Yvonne Musonda-Malata will appear the hearing again tomorrow, when the Nursing and Midwifery Council will have to decide whether she will be punished. She had to rush from the hearing room last week after breaking down in tears, saying:

My life has nosedived into what I can only describe as a nightmare. I kept hoping it would be over, but it went from bad to worse.

Midwife guilty of leaving a baby face-down in a cupboard

A midwife has been found guilty of leaving a four-day-old baby face-down in a cupboard. The Nursing and Midwifery Council found that 35-year-old Yvonne Musonda-Malata failed to provide the right level of clinical care to a baby at Queen's Hospital in Essex in 2011.

Maternity unit at Queen's Hospital in Essex Credit: Press Association

Appeal after two OAPs hit by bus in Romford

Police are continuing to appeal for information after two pensioners were hit and killed by a bus in Romford.

The two men, thought to be in their mid-60s, were pronounced dead at the scene in Western Road, near to the Liberty Shopping Centre.

The incident happened yesterday at around quarter past two in the afternoon.

Officers are asking for any witnesses to get in touch.

Two killed in Romford bus crash

Police are appealing for information after two men were killed in a crash in Romford this afternoon.

Two pedestrians were hit by a bus just after 2pm on Western Road, near to the Liberty Shopping Centre. Both pedestrians, thought to be men in their 60s, were pronounced dead at the scene.

The bus stopped at the scene and the driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He is currently in custody at an east London police station. There were no reports of other injuries.

Police say they believe there were a large number of witnesses at the scene, including those on the bus and another person that was passing at the time of the incident. They want anyone with information to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Load more updates