Live updates

New royal children exhibition

Details of how the royal children lived at Buckingham Palace over the last 250 years will be revealed at an exhibition next summer. The Royal Childhood exhibition will cover the years from the purchase of the palace by George III in 1761 to the birth of Prince George of Cambridge this year.

It will include photographs, clothing and the children's favourite toys. The exhibition will run throughout the summer opening of the Palace in August and September 2014.

Queen to lead London's remembrance service

The Queen will lead a remembrance service in the capital today as she lays the first wreath on the Cenotaph at Whitehall.

The event is the focal point of the country's Remembrance Sunday ceremonies and will see other senior royals, Prime Minister David Cameron and London Mayor Boris Johnson also leaving floral tributes at the memorial.

After the wreath laying ceremony and two minute silence at 11am, more than 10,000 military veterans and civilians will march past the Cenotaph.

Advertisement

Queen to attend Royal British Legion Festival

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance tonight as the nation begins three days of honouring fallen soldiers.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance Credit: Paul Edwards/The Sun/PA Wire Credit: Paul Edwards/The Sun/PA Wire

Other members of the Royal Family will also be present for the event at the Royal Albert Hall, which will feature performances from pop stars James Blunt - a former army officer - and Katie Melua, plus the tenor Alfie Boe and new group the Poppy Girls.

Katie Melua during rehearsals for the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, London Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Wire/Press Association Images

The audience of 4,000, including Legion supporters and military families, will be joined by an estimated 5.2 million viewers on television.

  1. National

'We are grateful to the Duke for his understanding'

The Metropolitan Police has said the force is grateful to the Duke of York for his understanding after he was challenged by officers in the gardens of Buckingham Palace.

Prince Andrew was asked to confirm his identity after a break-in at the Palace 48 hours earlier.

In light of media reports we can confirm that the man spoken to by officers was the Duke of York. We are making this public with HRH's permission.

We are grateful to the Duke for his understanding and have apologised for any inconvenience caused.

– Metropolitan Police statement

An earlier statement had only confirmed a man was ordered to verify his identity by two officers in the palace's gardens at around 6pm on Wednesday.

Prince Andrew confronted by armed police after palace break-in

Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, was challenged by armed police in the gardens of Buckingham Palace and asked to verify his identity after an intruder broke in last week.

HRH the Duke of York Prince Andrew at Diamond Jubilee celebrations last year

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that a man was ordered to verify his identity by two officers, with the Sunday Express claiming the 53 year old prince had been told to "put your hands up and get on the ground".

Andrew had earlier attended an engagement in Piccadilly supporting new business ventures.

"The man was satisfactorily identified. No weapons were drawn and no force was used," the police said in a statement.

Two days ago police arrested a man who had been found inside the palace on Monday evening. He was held on suspicion of burglary, trespass and criminal damage.

A second man was arrested outside the palace on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary. Both men have since been released on bail.

Advertisement

  1. National

Palace breach recalls memory of 1982's shock break-in

Michael Fagan broke into the Queen's bedroom at Buckingham Palace in 1982. Credit: PA Archive

Buckingham Palace has not commented on the break-in, which is one of the most serious security breaches at the Queen's London residence in more than 30 years.

The most notorious came in 1982 when father-of-four Michael Fagan evaded guards to reach the Queen in her bedroom.

Her Majesty talked to the 31-year-old for around 10 minutes after he climbed over the palace walls and up a drainpipe.

She then managed to alert a footman, who held him down until police arrived.

  1. National

Security reviewed after Buckingham Palace break-in

Security measures will be reviewed as part of an investigation into a break-in at Buckingham Palace, the Metropolitan Police have confirmed.

"A review of the specific circumstances of this incident is being carried out," a spokesman confirmed. "No members of the Royal Family were at Buckingham Palace at the time of the incident."

Two men have been arrested and bailed following the break-in on Monday evening.

  1. National

Report: Police confirm arrests 'in vicinity of Palace'

Scotland Yard has confirmed two men were arrested "following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace" on Monday evening in a statement to The Sun.

Police arrested two men following an incident in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace at approximately 22.20 hours on Monday, 2 September.

Both men have been bailed to return to a central London police station and enquiries continue.

A review of the specific circumstances of this incident has been carried out.

– Scotland Yard spokesperson
Load more updates