Live updates

Loaded gun found at a property in south London

Police have found loaded semi-automatic gun at an address in South Norwood. Officers searched a property in Tennison Road on Monday afternoon.

Firearm recovered from address in South Norwood Credit: Met Police

A firearm was found and three people - two men - both aged 25, one woman - aged 24 - were arrested.

Three people are still being held in police custody Credit: Met Police


Duo on football fan coach arrested

Police raided a coach carrying Crystal Palace supporters today and arrested two men and seized quantities of alcohol.

Officers from Operation Arrowtip, a Metropolitan Police initiative tackling football hooliganism, stopped the coach at around 8am in South Norwood Hill, South Norwood, south London.

One man was arrested on suspicion of possessing Class A drugs, Scotland Yard said. A second was held under the Explosives Act for possession of pyrotechnics.

He was also found to be in possession of a substance believed to be Class A drugs.

Both men were taken to a south London police station, where they remain in custody.

A lock knife was seized, together with five bin-bags of beer, cider, wine and spirits.

Cops showed "outstanding bravery"

The Croydon Borough commander has paid tribute to the bravery of the two police officers involved in the South Norwood fire rescue.

"The professionalism and bravery of DS Woollard and DC Pryce was truly outstanding. They showed what the Metropolitan Police is all about - keeping our communities safe - and they put aside any concern for their own safety to make sure that the people inside those flats got out safely. Thanks to their quick thinking and actions a tragic disaster has potentially been avoided."

– Chief Superintendent Richard Wood, Croydon Borough commander

"We were just concerned at getting everybody out"

One of the police officers, who helped three people from a burning building in South Norwood yesterday, has described how he and his colleague became involved in the rescue.

"We just happened to be driving along the road when we saw smoke swirling in front of us, so we stopped to make sure that everyone was OK until the Fire Brigade and local police arrived. Most people had already evacuated from the surrounding flats, but we were told there were people still inside the flats above the shop. We were just concerned at getting everybody out quickly and safely. The smoke inside was very thick, but we made sure we helped everybody we could to get out, before getting out ourselves and waiting for the Fire Brigade to arrive."

– DS Mick Woollard, Metropolitan Police


Police officers in fire rescue

Two police officers have rescued two men and a two-year-old boy from a burning flat in Croydon.

DS Mick Woollard and DC Neal Pryce, both from the Metropolitan Police's Road Death Investigation Unit at Catford, were on South Norwood High Street at 11am, when they spotted the fire in a flat above a shop.

The officers broke down the door of the flat and helped to get the three people inside to safety. One of the men and the child were treated in hospital for the effects of inhaling smoke. Neither were serioulsy hurt.